Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-24-2005, 07:49 AM

Default FILM REVIEW: The Fly (1986)

The Fly, made in 1986 by the masterful David Cronenberg, is a remake of the 1950's Fly I'm sure many of us know and love.

The plot is changed somewhat from the original - no giant fly head on a man, for example. Here the fusion is at the molecular-genetic level - and here the horror is a growing one, and the man slowly realises something is going very, very wrong...

I love this movie - unashamedly. Why? It's a very effective horror with plenty of thrills and jumps and gross-out moments... but that's not it

It works as an allegory for all sorts of things? - AIDS; death and dying; ageing; general horror at the things one's own body can produce; hell, even of just fear of change... but that's not it.

It works very well as a movie anyway? Speeding through the plot quickly, getting to the punch, even taking time to develop drama and romance in the middle of a speeding melange of gross body-changes and vomiting, relentlessly paced, but pausing enough so each scene packs it punch pretty perfectly...but that's not it.

Great score, acting, directing, absolutely... but that's not it.

Okay, enough teasing, I love this movie most because of its dialogue. It's unrealistic movie dialogue, for sure, but boy, does it pack a punch. To me, it's like the Hamlet or Macbeth of horror films, dialogue that I remember and remember, even if I haven't seen it in a few years.

Examples? Here you go:
--------------
Seth Brundle: You have to leave now, and never come back here. Have you ever heard of insect politics? Neither have I. Insects... don't have politics. They're very... brutal. No compassion, no compromise. We can't trust the insect. I'd like to become the first... insect politician. Y'see, I'd like to, but... I'm afraid, uh...

Ronnie: I don't know what you're trying to say.

Seth Brundle: I'm saying... I'm saying I - I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over... and the insect is awake.

Ronnie: No. no, Seth...

Seth Brundle: I'm saying... I'll hurt you if you stay.
--------------
Seth Brundle: What's there to take? The disease has just revealed its purpose. We don't have to worry about contagion anymore... I know what the disease wants.

Ronnie: What does the disease want?

Seth Brundle: It wants to... turn me into something else. That's not too terrible is it? Most people would give anything to be turned into something else.

Ronnie: Turned into what?

Seth Brundle: Whaddaya think, a fly? Am I becoming a hundred-and-eighty-five-pound fly? No, I'm becoming something that never existed before. I'm becoming... Brundlefly. Don't you think that's worth a Nobel Prize or two?

--------------
Seth Brundle: You're afraid to dive into the plasma pool, aren't ya'? You're afraid to be destroyed and recreated,aren't ya? I'll bet you think you woke me up about the flesh, don't you? But you only know society's straight line about the flesh. You can't penetrate beyond society's sick, grave, fear of the flesh. Drink deep, or taste not, the plasma spring. Y'see what I'm sayin? And I'm not just talking about sex and penetration, I'm talking about penetration beyond the veil of the flesh. A deep penetrating dive into the plasma pool.
--------------

Okay, I know, this is more a love letter than a review, but you know what? Tell me I'm wrong, I dare ya! I double-dog dare ya!

OVERALL: 4.5/5
REWATCHABILITY: Would stand 3-monthly, but who's got time?

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it (** new addition **)
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: The Fly (1986)

I don't normally like creepy movies but if this is the Jeff Goldblum one then yeah it was really good. Excellent review. That one is definitely worth seeing again. Unfortunately now whenever I see Jeff Goldblum I get creeped out.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:36 AM

You are wrong. 6/5.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:39 AM

littlelamb, unlike most n00bs, you are immediately okay in my book.

However 6/5 means the viewer needs to be shot through the head as soon as the film ends, so real life can't taint its beauty. I'm saving that for really good ones.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:54 AM

you should review the movie 28 days later.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you should review the movie 28 days later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Will do soon. Any other requests from anyone, PM me.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:57 AM

I give it 4 big Fonzie ayes. Haven't seen it in a while, but I often think of the end (SPOLIER ALERT)

and the almost human look on his face as he helps Veronica prop up the shotgun to his head. Definitely a classic.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:53 AM

Great movie.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 AM

The part where he vomits on the guys arm and leg have scarred me to this day.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:06 AM

This movie represents some of the best work ever from Cronenberg, Davis and Goldblum, and is actually one of only about 3 or 4 movies I like Goldblum in. Funny because I almost watched it this weekend, but ended up going with something else instead.