Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Party Poker Million V Entry?

It looks like from the website that the entry fee has been raised to $14,000. Is that right? Why would they raise the entry fee? To my knowledge, none of the other WPT events have done that.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Million V Entry?

Hi,

On this years cruise they talked about how they wanted to make it a 10M tournament. In the past they had done this via getting more players, but there simply isnt a big enough boat to have a 1000 player tournament, so raising the entry fee is the option they took I guess.

Thanks,
MarkV.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like from the website that the entry fee has been raised to $14,000. Is that right? Why would they raise the entry fee? To my knowledge, none of the other WPT events have done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Several of them have raised their entry fees since the first season.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 PM

Haven't looked at the site yet.

Is it a $14k EF or a $14k prize-package?

The package I won last year was $12.6k.
This included $10.3k for the tournament I believe...and $2.3k for the cabin, etc.
There was no extra money for travel expenses included in the package (as is done in many online-satellites). I had to pay for my flight to San Diego out of my own pocket.

It would make sense if they upped it to $14k in total just to throw out an extra $2k or so for travel expenses.

But it would also make sense if they just increased the buy-in to the tournament. They can only accomodate so many players. Party's players will still spend the dough to try to win their spot on the cruise if they raise the entry....so it would mean more money for party.

Didn't hear the talk about them wanting to increase the total prize-pool to $10-mil but I wasn't asking about it either. Wouldn't surprise me.

Will certainly be interested to check it out as I wouldn't mind doing the cruise and tourney again.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 PM

changing it to nl he would generate a bit more interest in it i think...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:03 PM

FYI,
The tournament entry is $14,200
The cruise is $2,500
With $800 extra spending cash
Total package is $17,500
Old 05-03-2005, 05:05 PM

agreed.

it seems a lot of the more famous 'pros' skipped it and i'm guessing the limit format has something to do with that.

Among those who did play were Lindgren, Jett (chip and karina), Liebert, Greenstein, Ferguson, Fischman, Darden.

Among those who didn't play were Lederer, Duke, Hellmuth, Negreneau, Ivey, Flack and the list goes on.
Sure there was also the WSOP-circuit event at the Rio....but I thought that the relatively small number of the more famous players was strikingand was likely due (at least in part) to the limit format.

I did hear talk about them changing it to NL next year. A couple people said they had heard this was the last year it would be limit....or they were thinking of switiching it or something.

Since we haven't heard anything yet I guess it will probably be limit again.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:14 PM

whyw ould they change it to NL when the boat is already full?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:10 PM

I think because most who were there prefer NL.

I am perfectly content either way to be honest...and certainly there are a few players out there who prefer limit tournaments (I was sitting next to one of them). But obviously NL is the tourney game of choice for most players.

Just checked the web-site and they have already announced that it will remain a limit tourney. They get to tout it as the biggest limit tourney in the world which they probably like. And WPT gets their one non-NL tourney for the season.

The entry is $14.2k...the cabin for 1 week on the cruise appears to be worth $2.5k this time (was $2.3k last year).
And they are now throwing an extra $800 at you for 'spending money' (aka 'travel expenses').

So the total package this year is worth $17.5k as opposed to $12.3k last year.

This obviously will make it tougher to qualify thus making more money for party.

I didn't play any of the semi-finals last year. did they do that 'extra starting chips' thing last year?
(I qualified via their Party till you Cruise raked-hand marathon so don't know how the previous semi-finals worked).

[ QUOTE ]
# Players will start each Semi-final tournament with a base amount of $1000 in chips and not more than $3000, depending on the Extra Starting Chips each player has accumulated during the qualification period.

# Extra Starting Chips for each set of Semi-finals can only be accrued during the two calendar months prior to the next scheduled date of the Semi-finals. For example, Extra Starting Chips for the Semi-finals scheduled for July will be accrued during the period May 1 through June 30. The Extra Starting Chips have no monetary value and cannot be redeemed for cash or anything else. They are only valid for the Semi-final immediately following the period during which chips are accumulated. Click here for more details.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were some other quotes on their site which I enjoyed:

[ QUOTE ]

With a total prize pool of $7.43 million and 735 players, PPMIV really was anyone's to win

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have been pretty strange if some of the 735 players at the PPMIV were not allowed to win.

[ QUOTE ]
we're still celebrating after this year's electrifying PPMIV final, which saw six players battle it out for first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. When you get to the final table in a WPT event you have 6 players left trying to win first place.
This is not unlike the previous PPM III final that had 6 players battle it out for first place.
I am guessing that next year's final will ONCE AGAIN have 6 players battling it out for first place.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 PM

The starting chips thing was there last year too - the big difference is the cost of the qualifier ($210+16 last time around).

Sheriff