Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-31-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Cap pre-flop, Fold Flop

First hand history post.
I like the way I played it.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (17.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG+2 calls $8 (All-In), MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (13.60 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (15.60 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: 16.60 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+2 has Kh Jc (two pair, kings and jacks).
MP3 has Ad Kc (flush, ace high).
Outcome: MP3 wins 16.60 BB. </font>
Old 12-31-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Cap pre-flop, Fold Flop

yep...with that many players (2 of which raised pre-flop), your hand is DOA...oh well
Old 12-31-2005, 06:03 AM

I wonder if the hand example on p. 274 of SSH applies here.

Obviously there are some differences. The board here has straight potential... but then in the SSH example there is the additional problem of two overcards which could come and beat you.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if the hand example on p. 274 of SSH applies here.

Obviously there are some differences. The board here has straight potential... but then in the SSH example there is the additional problem of two overcards which could come and beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A big difference between the Small stakes example and this hand example is pot odds. In the SSH hand, the hero was getting 19-1 closing the action. In this example the hero is getting 10.7-1 and hes not closing the action. With Aces on this board I would certainly call getting 19-1 closing the action, but on this board getting 10.7-1 with the real fear of a 3 bet happening behind me, I would fold.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:02 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

does anyone bet out on this flop? p.s. i hate results.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:06 AM

Reads would be useful here, as you could have the best hand versus the nearly all-in guy and the Button (who could have AK or even AQ/TT) on the flop. I'm tempted to cold-call, but that's about the worst flop I can imagine under the circumstances, so the fold does seem sensible to me -- especially if your opponents are players who will respect a preflop cap and a very scary board.

Edit: Checking the flop does kind of open up a vaccuum, though, for other people to step in and get aggressive. I'm not sure I'd want to do that, in this spot.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone bet out on this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I probably would, partly just to see how many people want to play back at me.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads would be useful here, as you could have the best hand versus the nearly all-in guy and the Button (who could have AK or even AQ/TT) on the flop. I'm tempted to cold-call, but that's about the worst flop I can imagine under the circumstances, so the fold does seem sensible to me -- especially if your opponents are players who will respect a preflop cap and a very scary board.

Edit: Checking the flop does kind of open up a vaccuum, though, for other people to step in and get aggressive. I'm not sure I'd want to do that, in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

read utg+2 is a typical 5-10 semi-passive, semi-loose, two big cards, two suited cards kind of player
read on mp3 is loose, passive.(46 vpip, 6% raisepf, .55af) put his raise on good ace, mid/high pocket pair.
button is (12 vpip, 5.8 raisepf, 1.76 af). I put him on premium pair, chance of ak.
I read mp3 and button observant enough to know my cap means AA, KK. QQ unlikely
Old 12-31-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone bet out on this flop? p.s. i hate results.

[/ QUOTE ]
I considered it.
I thought "no one is going to fold, and I'm going to get raised".