Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM

Default $1/$2 rockfest? (low content)

I usually play $2/$4 or $3/$6 LHE, occasionally stepping up to $5/$10. Played >20K hands at each level, profitably. I say this not to boast but to preface.

Withdrew some funds to pay debts, so reduced bankroll has led me back to $1/$2 for a while. Played Party $1/$2 LHE the last 4 days, somewhere >1,000 hands. Down 60BBs. I've switched tables a lot and played tight (e.g., folding Axs and small pps EP, only playing 87s and 98s with at least 3 others in), not super-aggressive but not weak-tight either.

My basic comment is "WHAT THE F*CK?" There are TAGs all over the place, and nobody seems to be making any money. Seriously, I don't know why any player with profit motive was interested in playing these tables, as nobody's stack increased any significant amount over hours of play.

Anybody have a similar experience? Just a bad run? Doesn't make any sense to me and is maddening.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: $1/$2 rockfest? (low content)

earlier or later the future of poker
Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: $1/$2 rockfest? (low content)

This is just a bad run. If you still find you can't beat the game in 100,000 hands, then we should talk.

Low limit games are getting tighter. That means we need to be more precise about game selection.

But your post betrays a more important point. You are emphasizing that you play "tight" and describe your pre-flop play. This is NOT where you are making most of your money, particularly in rocky games where everyone is playing tight. As the games get tighter/tougher, it's post-flop that you need to focus on. Many of these tight types at the low limits SUCK post-flop.

You are encouraged to post hands that illustrate your difficulty with playing in rockier games.

P.S. I'm going to lock this as I don't see it generating much fruitful discussion and in general we have a Low-Tolerance policy for non-strategic posts.
Closed Thread