Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Multitabling, what software reqd?

I'm presently playing 2 tables on Party poker. With the blinds often playing "for free" i find myself too busy to do more than 2 tables. Yet, i read of others playing 8, yes 8 tables . How do they do that. What software manages all the details with the blinds you don't really want to play but get in to the hand for nothing with.
I know of Poker Tracker. Does it run and give you stats while you are at the table, so you can see the stats on your opponents AS YOU PLAY!! what an edge that would be. Am i light years behind the times.??
Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Multitabling, what software reqd?

experience allows you to play 8+ tables. programs like MTH help but if you can't mentally handle it yet then MTH is just going to allow you to lose your money more efficiently.

pokertracker records the hands and a "HUD" like PAHUD displays the stats on your opponents.

I'd recommend only trying to multitable when you're at your A game... add tables slowly and look for reasons to remove one.

If your monitor doesn't have the resolution to support multiple tables WITHOUT OVERLAP you will be at a severe disadvantage IMO (some can deal with it).

Party has a beta client out that allows you to resize the tables so a mega-monitor may not be neccesary to have no overlap.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:06 AM

I keep seeing HUD but still haven't figured out what one is. I remember a Paul Newman show called Hud once. lol
re MTH i tried to log on to them and to email their support desk, but both are down. i think its all just one guy who's writing exams right now
do you multitable?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 AM

HUD = "heads up display". The ones that work with PT are listed on the PT website.

MTH is a coded by a single person, he posts here. I haven't tried to email him.

Yes, I multitable. I started with two and added them as I felt I could handle the stress.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:51 AM

The big thing with multi-tabling is not having overlap.

Most of us who multi-table have 2 monitors+ that support 1600x1200 resolution so we can fit 4 tables per monitor easily.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 AM

Yes, you are light years behind the times. It's okay, though. Check http://www.pokertracker.com and check out their software, and the add-on HUD (Heads up Display) called PokerAce HUD. That is the best combination (IMO) to utilize statistics and play multiple tables at once. I can comfortably play eight tables of limit hold 'em at once on my setup.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep seeing HUD but still haven't figured out what one is. I remember a Paul Newman show called Hud once. lol
re MTH i tried to log on to them and to email their support desk, but both are down. i think its all just one guy who's writing exams right now
do you multitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually my exams aren't due until after new years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regarding the site and mail, as was replied in the software thread, i made the mistake of ending my sentences with a period in my original post, which resulted in the links including the period at the end, and thereby making neither links work. I've setup the webserver so it now also responds to the actual url with the period at the end. I can't do anything about the email adress unfortunately, just mail support@multitablehelper.com without the period, it works [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 05:16 PM

I can handle four for . I don't use Poker Tracker or a HUD program. Every time I try to do more than four tables, I start timing out and making too many mistakes, so I'm not as good at it as some.HUD Programs like Game Time and Poker Ace work with Poker Tracker to display opponents stats in the table window. These help you get a read on the opponent. A big monitor, or multiple monitor setup that can display tables without overlap is something a lot of multi-tablers use. I run four tables at 1280x1024 (highest my monitor supports), and while there is some overlap, I find it usable.

Using the "fold" or "check-fold" pre-selection checkboxes will help. This is mostly for obvious pre-flop folds, or occasionally on the flop. For a lot of situations, you won't want to make a decision until you see what your opponets have done (87s on the button, for example) but for the really worthless hands preflop, you know you'r going to fold, or check or fold to a raise in the BB, so use those checkboxes to save time. Also, it helps to click through tables any time you aren't busy (or just watch them iff you have a no-overlap setup).

Mostly, I would suggest that you stick with two tables until you fine that you have some time on your hands, then add one, and repeat until you can't handle any more.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM

Hmmm... It would be nice to have mulitple monitors or a way to shrink screens down.

But, I do manage to do 8 tables 1280 x 800 laptop screen.

8 is a bit much. After all, since I seem to play about 20-23% of my hands any more than 4 basically means having two hands going at once. And occasionally you get cluster-f'cked with more playable hands all at once. (Seems to be the rule rather than the exception).

So for me I've found that 4-6 tables is the optimal number for staying busy enough not to make mistakes because I'm bored. At 7-8 it gets to busy, and becuase of the overlap and tables popping up it gets agravating.

Anyway, you can do it without anything special, but it takes some getting used to. At this point I can't stand anything less that 4 at a time or it feels like watching paint dry.

However, my error rate, no doubt goes up with each additonal screen. Actually there's more like a sweet spot. Too few, you start making loose calls to much. To many and you start getting to where you are saying, "Geez I don't know where a stand in this freakin' hand!"

On trick is to try to select seats in positions where you can see them even with overlapping. By being able to see that a hand you'll fold is happening on another table you can somewhat ignore it and just quickly fold it when it pops up.

Anyways, I do 4-8 tables at a time, up to about 3400 hands a day on just a 1280x800 laptop screen. So it can be done. It's not optimal, but it is do-able.

I also keep some reference material open too.

The other thing I do is to open everything in the same order each time. That way I always know, for example, that my "Lobby" is the 5th task bar item over, or whatever you choose.

It's a matter of getting aclimated, for the most part.

That said, I wish someone would come up with a way to shrink each table, make the cards larger, and not have the overlap.

Perhaps MTH covers a lot of this. Not sure. My current impression is that it moves the active table to the upper right of the screen? If a new table pops into that spot every time an action is required, I'm not sure that it's better than overlap. However many many folks swear by it, so don't go by me. (I'm still trying to find out exactly how if displays things before I install it.)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 AM

I'd just use MTH on the play money tables till you understand how it works and such. It won't take very long