Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Aces up on a scary board (Stud 8/b)

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (12.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (8.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (12.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (20.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (22.30 BB)

Aside from checking on sixth street (probably much better in hindsight, considering the raiser caught a third open diamond), what do you think of this hand?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Aces up on a scary board (Stud 8/b)

Dear lord, what is seat two doing on third???

Anyway, if it is common to have multiway pots like this for any number of bets I think it would be safest to throw the hand away. Its a one way hand that becomes difficult to play against multiple opponents.

Once you're involved though its hard to play differently. A flush on 6th is a posibility but with the number of dead diamonds a low is more likely (this also illustrates a problem if you do get heads up with the Ace showing, you don't know if he's low or high which puts you at a disavantage).
Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, if it is common to have multiway pots like this for any number of bets I think it would be safest to throw the hand away. Its a one way hand that becomes difficult to play against multiple opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - unfortunately, I got trapped in this pot, because it's really not all that common in these games! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 03:07 AM

I like the guy who limped and three-bet with, uh, what do you suppose he had anyway?

This is uncomfortable all the way around. You played it fine, and I even think the bet on sixth was fine. I agree with Bremen that if you could have anticipated this kind of action, you should have at least considered folding on third. There isn't much money to be made with dead one-way hands in big multi-way pots.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from checking on sixth street (probably much better in hindsight, considering the raiser caught a third open diamond), what do you think of this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see any other way to play it. I don't check sixth street though.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 PM

Ugh, this whole hand gives me shivers, but I don't know where you can escape.

I bet fourth hoping Seat 1 will raise get it HU.

I check sixth, and maybe fifth.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM

I have no idea what Seats 1 and 2 were doing, but I won the high side with aces up and the other person made a six-low. Thankfully. I felt scared throughout the whole hand, though.