Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Going high in loose, passive stud8 games

[ QUOTE ]
In loose stud8 games a good rule to remember is NEVER GO HIGH. Its really that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Having loose, passive oppenents adds value to strong high hands. In the extreme, take a live 3-stright flush. On the early streets, your opponents' passive play makes this cheap to play. On the late streets, your oppenents' loose play makes this extremely profitable if you hit. I believe that live 3-flushes and 3-straights will also show a profit, as fifth street can frequently be seen for as little as half a small bet, and the river is very often multiway.

Note: I didn't want to hijack the other thread. Folding kings is a good line for a low-limit player.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Going high in loose, passive stud8 games

I'd think 3 to a high straight flush that is live is better than kings in a loose passive game.... though seeing 3 to a straight flush isn't common and seeing a loose passive stud8 table is even rarer, so I don't have much experience in that regard.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:50 PM

I think there are few cookie cutter rules that apply to most games, this is definitly one that doesn't fit. I do think it's a pretty good advice for a beginner. no matter how many posts I read about it on here or in Zees book, my holdem hand would throttle those Ks, it took me more than I'd like to admit to pick my spots better.

These hands definitly have a place, I just think newer players need some mileage to figure out when to play them and how. Im still learning it too, so JMO.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:16 PM

I agree with you. I think what Bremen was meaning in the other thread was that its usually a bad idea to try and play something like Qs or Ks and sometimes even As with a high kicker (though not very often) against a 3-4+ players all showing low cards. It is very rarely that you will scoop a pot like that and you will get outdrawn for high a lot more than you would think. Since it is very hard to play these hands correctly, most people just say don't play them. I think something like rolled up hands are obviously playable and also a high three straight flush is a good hand to have in a multiway pot even with a lot of lows out. You have a lot of equity if you hit one of your cards on fourth.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you. I think what Bremen was meaning in the other thread was that its usually a bad idea to try and play something like Qs or Ks and sometimes even As with a high kicker (though not very often) against a 3-4+ players all showing low cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should have put a little more thought into my post. Yes, a straight 3 flush will show a profit, however its not really a big winner. Combined with the fact that OP was getting started in stud8 he's not really giving up much by folding these hands.