Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Trapping the high hand?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (4.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises___raises

6th Street - (14.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (14.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: 16.35 BB

I call the completion in this game since it's relatively loose-passive, and I'm ready to give it up unless I improve quickly. By cold-calling the completion, my hand is well defined in one direction, but the strength of it is not. I put Seat 5 on a good low draw with two or maybe three hearts. Seat 5 is very aggressive/smart from my notes.

I checked fifth street here since I knew Seat 5 would bet, and a check-raise was liable to get Seats 1 and 4 out, and I could play head up with either the best low hand or the best high hand. Unfortunately, Seat 4 called, and Seat 7 had an easy re-raise. I had to think about just calling here, but I've seen Seat 4 put money in and fold before - he/she seemed loose/passive, but not a calling station. I decided to cap it right here to signal that my hand was strong in both directions (possibly a four-flush or a lock six-low), and villain folded. Seat 5 obviously calls, and we check through sixth street since we both caught bad. This clearly defines Seat 5's hand as low-only, and not buried aces/kings or rolled up sevens.

I decided to bet the river with any card that improved me in either direction, since I felt that ace-high was probably the best high hand, and I could have the best low hand (not likely, but possible). I caught the pair and decided to bet since it was a huge improvement for me.

How do you like the squeeze play on fifth? The river bet?

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Trapping the high hand?

3rd I wouldn't even get involved. You want to be playing hands that scoop. 347 just isn't one of those hands.

Last streets I'm fine on. I'd put 5 on a high hand since a reraise from a 6 low showing didn't slow him down.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 PM

Did that guy really call 3 cold and then fold for one more bet?

[ QUOTE ]
This clearly defines Seat 5's hand as low-only, and not buried aces/kings or rolled up sevens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I would imagine he had A3 in the hole? Maybe 56? Maybe the same hand as you? 34?

I think betting the river is good incase he was getting out of control. I cant imagine you got scooped, but I can imagine you scooping.

I think capping 5th is bad though. It seems you are behind and the guy with the Q98 board usually will not fold for one more bet!

I really like the check-raise though.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think capping 5th is bad though. It seems you are behind and the guy with the Q98 board usually will not fold for one more bet!

[/ QUOTE ]

The person folded for two more bets - probably because he/she knew it would be very expensive to continue on sixth and seventh street if the two bets on fifth were called. Straight out of Ray Zee's book - give the appearance that it's going to be expensive to draw against two low hands, and the high hand will fold unless they are already huge (and with a Q98 board, there's no way they are big).
Old 08-28-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd I wouldn't even get involved. You want to be playing hands that scoop. 347 just isn't one of those hands.

Last streets I'm fine on. I'd put 5 on a high hand since a reraise from a 6 low showing didn't slow him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to play hands that scoop, but not 100% of the time against Party players. You can often make decent lows and backdoor into high hands that beat single pairs overplayed, and playing always to scoop is way too tight at these tables (in my opinion). I prefer to think of it as playing for 3/4 of the pot.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Results

Results:
Main Pot: $160.50 | Rake: $3

Seat 5: [ Ad 6h 7h 4d 2d Ts 2c ] [ LO: 7,6,4,2,A | HI: a pair of twos -- Ad,Ts,7h,2d,2c ]

Hero: [ 3d 7d 4h 6s Ah Kc 6c ] [ LO: 7,6,4,3,A | HI: a pair of sixes -- Ah,Kc,7d,6s,6c ]