Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: how do you handle a friend on tilt gambling away his $$ till its g

The TSUNAMI or 911, even though they were not random, they were pretty unpredictable, must make the Stock Market a gamble, no? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ToT
Old 08-17-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe your friend is guilty of questions 7 and 9 on the Gamblers anonymous questionnaire (I am guilty of 10 questions and don't think I have a problem, so take it with a grain of salt, or consider me a problem gambler, whatever).

Survey

[/ QUOTE ]

7 here, but that survey is obviously biased since there is a big difference between +EV and -EV gambling.

"12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?" -- every good poker player should answer yes to this question. Etc.

If he's not playing +EV games, then yes that survery is probably a good indicator.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:37 PM

I've taken the survey before but am willing to do so again. I scored 17:

1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?

Yes...although this one is difficult to answer. Because for me 'gambling' actually IS my 'work'.
Although I consider online multi-table grinding to be my 'real' work and sometimes I'll go play live at low-limits for fun.
but that's gambling too...that I view as taking time away from my work (which is higher EV gambling).
So yes...there is some gambling that takes away from my 'serious' gambling.

2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?

Yes. Example - I finished 4th in a UB Aruba qualifier and the top 2 won the package. I was 1st or 2nd for much of the tourney. Gosh-darnit!!!
I also can't say that I'm THAT freaking thrilled when in a 200BB downswing.

3. Did gambling ever affect your reputation?

Yes - Some people I know think I'm much cooler than I really am because I play poker for a living and I played in the WSOP.

4. Have you ever had remorse after gambling?

Yes - such as "I wish I hadn't given that guy the free-card on the turn."

5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?

Yes - All the time actually. My bills don't get paid if I don't gamble.

6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?

Yes - I'm less motivated to work in a 'traditional' stuffy-workplace 8-to-5 job ever again because of gambling.

7. After losing, did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your loses?

Yes - I also feel like I need to return as soon as possible after winning to continue winning. I motivate myself to get in a decent number of hours each week regardless of whether I'm winning or losing.

8. After a win, did you have a strong urge to return and win more?

Yes. (see above)

9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
No. (I usually win anyway)

10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?

No (that I can recall anyway)

11. Have you ever sold anything to finance your gambling?
Yes. I have sold some items of mine that I was going to throw-out anyway. The money I made from those sales went into my total-bankroll...which funds my 'gambling'.

12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?

Yes. I'm reluctant to make 'normal expenditures' in the first place. Buying gas, paying the bills, etc. I hate all that stuff and am reluctant to do it.

13. Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family?

No.

14. Did you ever gamble longer than you planned?

Yes. such as when I make the final-table of a really big tourney (I don't PLAN on making final-tables of big-tourneys in the first place).
Also if I am sitting with an absolutely terrible player I will see it as a super +EV opportunity and will play longer than planned as long as he is still at the table practically giving his money away too.

15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble?

Yes, all the time. If I didn't gamble I would have MANY worries (such as "How the hell am I going to pay my rent?"). Gamblilng definitely helps me escape these worries and troubles.

16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?

Yes. Internet-gambling is in a legal grey-area in the U.S. and in Tennessee. I do it anyway.

17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
Yes. (such as when a super-fish is still at my table and I'm postponing going to bed).

18. Do arguements, disappointments, or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?

Yes. I'm 'disappointed' that I didn't win the trip to Aruba(for example)....I have an 'urge' to try it again because I know I am better than most of the players in that game.

19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?

Yes. Although more often I celebrate my good fortune FROM a few hours of gambling.

20. Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?

Yes. I drink way to much coffee...and I already know that sitting on my button and clicking buttons all day isn't exactly 'healthy'. I consider the coffee and general inactivity to be relatively 'self-destructive'. So not only do I 'consider' it....I already know that I actively am doing it. I take steps to try to counter that though (such as getting exercise via my rec-league soccer teams and what-not).
Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: how do you handle a friend on tilt gambling away his $$ till its gone?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious (not trying to insult you), but if you can't control how much money you blow in the pit to the point that you have to someone else hold your wallet and money, it seems unlikely you'd have the discipline to be a winning player. How can you approach poker in a disciplined manner if you can't trust yourself not to blow off tons of money in other gambling situations?

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
You must not have read his whole post....BEER....that is enough to change any poker players (I think neccessary) "gambol" knob to full.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe your friend is guilty of questions 7 and 9 on the Gamblers anonymous questionnaire (I am guilty of 10 questions and don't think I have a problem, so take it with a grain of salt, or consider me a problem gambler, whatever).

Survey

[/ QUOTE ]

7 here, but that survey is obviously biased since there is a big difference between +EV and -EV gambling.

"12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?" -- every good poker player should answer yes to this question. Etc.

If he's not playing +EV games, then yes that survery is probably a good indicator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me slotboy would be a -EV poker player too.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
Yes, but then i re-bought from my well-managed bankroll and then slowly extracted my money back from that lucky fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-22-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: how do you handle a friend on tilt gambling away his $$ till its gone?

sit at their table?