Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: luck luck luck

It's rigged
Old 07-14-2005, 09:29 PM

go all in more

-SmileyEH
Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with players who play like that you have to let them take control of the game you have to showdown a hand against them
against players like this you have to play passively
i know passive play is generally a losing style it works well against this type of opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a couple of different strategies against a player like this. Myself, I'll get aggressive right back if I have a hand, and if they want to call me all in with a marginal hand, all the better. But Op is just being foolish if he refuses to look at his play objectively and consider that he is perhaps, not playing at his best against this guy, especially considering the fact that he is losing to him consistently. There is no such thing as luck in the long run, only skill.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:07 PM

I'm not sure if this is a gag post, but I have a friend who plays poker very well. He's a major lag, makes big pots and always seems to win them. Uncanny. If you didn't know better you'd think he's cheating. I haven't played tens of thousands of hands with him but, after a few years, I know for sure he's the luckiest player I know. By far. The lucky ones don't always suck.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 PM

Maybe I should clarify. I am not saying that I am playing perfect, and I am aware that there is "no such thing as luck in the long run." But it is not just me that this has happenned to. This same player does the same to everyone that plays with us. This type of play has been named "Luck Burns" after him. I did not mean to imply that I have not experimented and tried to improve to beat him, but his luck has been extraordinary not only against me but against everyone, and the odds never seem to balance out against him.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, I have a friend whose nickname is duck. He plays poker in a retarded way, like raising all in with nothing off flops, and he always wins on closed straight draws and the like. He has beaten rockets with 6-3 offsuit and he beats me in that way pretty consistently. We have started calling him luck instead of duck. I always make the right plays against him but always lose, has anyone had similar experiences or advice?

[/ QUOTE ]
Advice: Back him every WPT event and next year's WSOP.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 AM

When a friend of mine started playing, he would always seem to eek out a close win or call the right bluff at the perfect time. I just said it was beginner's luck and luck in general will run out sooner or later if there's no skill involved