Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 02:04 AM

Default Giving a card to a draw on the flop.....

First 2+2 post ever.....

Is it ever correct to give a draw a free card or a cheap card in order to move in on the turn if the draw misses if you feel the drawer will call an allin on the flop but probably not on the turn?

Here is the hand which brings about the question:
UTG $550 deep(very weak-very loose-aggressive) raises to $15 (typical bring-in for this game despite the small blinds) I ($650 deep)make it $45 to go, MP ($125 deep)calls and UTG calls. 3 see the flop with $138 in the pot.

Flop comes Qh Th 6h, UTG bets out $100, I'm pretty sure he's not sitting on a flush or he would have checked it, MP could possible have gotten lucky and flopped it but he doesn't have enough money to keep me from drawing to the full. Figuring on having the best hand I move all in, knowing UTG will call with a flush draw if thats what he's got, MP folds. I'm all-in which is about a $405 raise on a $338 pot, 1.8-1. Twodimes says he's a 2.5-1 underdog, making the call a mistake, but not a massive mistake, if I had less than a set it would hardly be a mistake at all to call if he thinks his flush draw is good if it hits. He calls.

Turn is 7c.

River is 4h.

UTG flips 3s 3h to my utter disgust, but its good.

What are your thougts of calling the flop bet and seeing if the flush connects and playing from there? If it doesn't hit move in then and force a massive mistake with a call or take down the pot on the turn, also leaving open the possiblilty of ditching the hand on the river if I'm staring at a 4 flush on the board and a big bet.....

Any feedback on this situation (and the post in general)is appreciated.

Thanks

--jethro
Old 11-01-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Giving a card to a draw on the flop.....

weak loose agressive, that's a new one
Old 11-01-2004, 12:42 PM

You played it perfectly. You made your opponent make a mistake, and he did. More times than not you'll end up with the money. If you wait until the turn and get him to fold, you're costing yourself money. You want him to get his money in as an underdog.

Justin A
Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM

It was pointed out to me that I never mentioned my own holding. As most of you probably suspected I had pocket Queens.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:37 PM

In a live game there is seldom a reason to not make your opponent make a mistake and call. In a tournament the play you suggest is sometimes a very good one. Read Paul Phillips assesment of the big hand between Josh arieh and harry demitriou in the world series. He points out that if harry moves in on the turn Josh is going to like his hand a lot less. It actually in my opinion good to be out of position when making such a play as you will be able to move in and not worry abvout him semibluffing all in on turn.
matty