Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Open limping preflop in fullring.

Many reasons to do this? The tables I play are very loose and passive, with 4-5 people to each flop, so I was thinking that maybe playing half-decent hands even oop might be a good idea, if there are no aggro players left to act.

eg
UTG, all pairs jacks or lower,
AQs,AJs,ATs,AQo,KQs,KJs,QJs.
Some suited connectors for deception.

The idea being that I'll be keeping the pot small while oop and encourage other players to see a flop with a hand, which although possibly dominated, has potential to hit some straight/flush that is not likely to be beaten by a higher straight/flush. I'll make a note to keep pots small oop with 1 pair hands.

Mp1,2 and 3 I'll add KTs,QTs,JTs for the same reasons when first in.

Not sure about suited aces from mp1,2 and 3, I'll be raising ATs+ but ace-rag suited may merit a fold.

And no open limping in lp for obvious reasons.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Open limping preflop in fullring.

The purists here will tell you it's a donk play. In "real" poker, if 2 or 3 early limpers come in someone will certainly raise to apply pressure.

If a table is passive enough, I think it's a reasonable play. I like to see a flop for cheap with Axs where x is lower than 10 - looking for nut flush, and low pairs that I am only playing for set value.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:42 PM

At a loose passive table I would add in SC's down to 67 and even some suited one gappers from MP on. Axs is one of those hands that look alot better then it really is, playing it purely for flush value is -ev IMO. You just won't connect often enough and when you do it's hard to get paid unless someone else has caught a flush. From UTG I don't even bother with KJ or QJ. I raise AQs and 99+ from UTG, these hands are not meant for multi-way small pots. JMO
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 PM

Poboy, are you saying you fold KJs and QJs from early or just the unsuited variety?

Not sure about raising 99,TT and JJ utg, maybe when I get a little better.

Axs is a pretty hand, probably best to limper after 1 limper and a few more potential limpers behind I guess. What I like is the possibility of betting the flush draw when 1st/2nd to act then screwing with the callers heads if the draw hits. I'm a bit of a rock so I'm trying to include a couple moves to confuse my opponents.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:06 PM

Yes I fold those hands from ep. Playing hands like that from OOP require hitting the flop pretty hard, a flush draw or better. Trouble is you're only ~8:1 to catch a flush draw. The more likely outcome is you flop top or 2cd pair and have to make some tough decisions from OOP. As for raising the mid pairs there are numerous benefits to doing so, namely deception. JMO