Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 04:30 PM

Default A thought on the big moose post.

In Darwin's time the biggest and baddest suvived. However, in modern day trophy hunting the biggest and the baddest are the prized possessions. The sickly deer is left to walk on by, the small and weak fish is let go. Already geneticists are seeing signs of this effecting genetic lines. The biggest and the strongest fish are being replaced with smaller and often more sickly animals.

Now I totally understand the need to hunt animals such as deer. I am not stating an opinion on whether hunting is right or wrong, I'm merely making an observation on the way hunting is done.

I would provide a link to some papers, but that takes too much work and I doubt many would read it. This should be common sense anyway.

Feel free to discuss.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: A thought on the big moose post.

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. Humans are good at this, there used to be giant everything until we came around apparently. [censored] badgers the size of bears n [censored]. If only humans would stick to hunting prokaryotes, the world be a much better place.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
badgers the size of bears

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? How big were the bears?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Wow. I had never thought about this. I am googling for research right now. Very interesting. Thanks for posting a very interesting point to consider and discuss. I will return to this thread after having done some reading.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
badgers the size of bears

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? How big were the bears?

[/ QUOTE ]gigantic. Coincidently, most of these giants did not survive the ice age.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:42 PM

This is pretty interesting. I never really thought about humas being the reason for animals decreasing in size over the millenia.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:43 PM

i have always been close to hunting b/c of my father, so i was either going to love it or hate it. my dad has traveled to africa 3 times and killed a lion, leopard and cape buffalo and is going back in november to tajikistan to kill a rare ram. he has been to alaska numerous times and killed bears, moose, elk, caribou, and this doesn't even crack the surface on the big game that he has hunted and killed.

with him he started like every hunter killing his first dove, or 8 point...something small. then he graduated to driving down to south and west texas ranches killing big white tail (some boon & crockett). then after two decades it was as if he had hunted everything and he moved on to animals in other countries such as africa and spain. i have always thought this was odd, why would someone spend so much money and time on this?

the answer is power. in our life we want power and control over something and hunting is exactly that. now my dad is strange and if you ask any of my friends [censored] crazy cause he adds an element of danger when he hunts by climbing mountains and hunting in the most extreme conditions. i hate hunting, i think its stupid and a waste of time but thats just my opinion, if i thought about it the things in my life that i really care about come down to control and having power over someone too (baseball, p**er etc).

this has at least been my theory for a few years since i have always thought my dad was crazy when it came to hunting and i wanted to at least put an answer to it.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:44 PM

well one thing to think about, certain animals are likely to decrease in size, while others are likely to increase in size. It just depends on what humans hunt.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I had never thought about this. I am googling for research right now. Very interesting. Thanks for posting a very interesting point to consider and discuss. I will return to this thread after having done some reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you diablo. Here is one link from Nature which is a top journal.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...4AF5FAF9FDAE00
Old 10-08-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus.

[/ QUOTE ]