Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Inducing bluff with QQ HU

Villian is passive. Folds flop around 50% of the time. 24 / 1.2 / 1.6 after 83 hands.

This is my 2nd orbit at the table. I havent done anything at all yet.

I check the flop to show weakness, because I felt that a bet would probably make him fold and it would take two perfect running cards which also needs to sync with his hand to take me down. I also figured there would be a chance he'd take a stab at the pot on the turn on this janky looking board.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 6.16 BB

Yay or Nay?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Inducing bluff with QQ HU

While I very, very rarely like slowplaying top set, the fact is that in this kind of pot you have the deck so crippled usually that very, very often you'll get no further action from villain if you bet.

So letting the flop check through is probably okay. I like just calling on the turn. I think checking the flop and then raising the turn is probably not a good idea as it makes what you are doing totally obvious.

So I think this is okay. Use this sort of line judiciously though, and only against villains who you think are reasonably competent and might take a shot on the turn but can find folds on the flop and such.

It actually looks to me like you probably extracted the max here, honestly. It seems like villain thinks you have nothing and is calling the river with very little; may nothing but A high or even worse.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Meh, I like just betting the flop.

I usually figure that the only way I'm getting a biggish pot in these heads-up pots is if villain has a good hand anyway, so I might as well start pushing early. The flop is also pretty drawish so I'd expect him to at least call the flop pretty often.

There are also pretty much no hands that I would check this flop with against this opponent, so if he is aware at all he would suspect something is up when I check.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 PM

man, i'd never do this everytime [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
i swear by that.

the hand came up, and on the flop i was trying to figure out how to get the most out of the hand, cause really betting and having random passive blind fold right away seems like an easy...but not so satisfying nor profitable win.

my conclusion on the flop was to play dumb, and hope the other guy thinks im just as dumb, and takes a shot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 PM

the 50% of the time he folds, he'll prob fold to your next bet anyway. the 50% he'll call you, it will be with a lesser hand. result: you are losing value.

Also, if villian is this passive, do you really expect him to make a stab on the turn? I'm not saying he won't, but is this a supported suspicion?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the 50% of the time he folds, he'll prob fold to your next bet anyway. the 50% he'll call you, it will be with a lesser hand. result: you are losing value.

Also, if villian is this passive, do you really expect him to make a stab on the turn? I'm not saying he won't, but is this a supported suspicion?

[/ QUOTE ]

The important thing to realize, and the reason this play is okay sometimes, is that sometimes the only way villain is putting in any money here is when you let him bluff the turn.

That's really the point. When villain has a real hand, we have two more streets to make up the bet we miss on the flop. When he has nothing, we gain a valuable big bet that we wouldn't get otherwise.

Obviously this is NOT the standard way to play this sort of "monster in position heads-up" kind of hand. It should be considered though against tight but aggressive opponents (though not expert opponents, who'll usually see right through this) who will quickly seize upon your weakness and try to steal the pot but would often simply check-fold the flop.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only way villain is putting in any money here is when you let him bluff the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

the point of my post. in classic deranged fashion
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The important thing to realize, and the reason this play is okay sometimes, is that sometimes the only way villain is putting in any money here is when you let him bluff the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point makes sense, but this board seems drawy enough that some hands (two hearts, and maybe just an A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], lots of straighty combos) might well peel, or c/r if they are aggressive. If it were Q72 or something I can see the check...unless the player is clever enough to realize that HU a TAG is betting that like every time.