Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Too agressive here?

.50/1 NL game at Games Grid.

It's 5 handed right now. SB to my left has been playing fairly maniacal in this short handed game. He's been very willing to raise in the SB with any 2 cards, and even reraise me if I raise him back with seemingly any 2 cards. He knows that I know this and he knows that I'd play back with less than premium cards as well apparantely.

SB ~$100
Me ~$140

I have AQo in the BB

3 people fold to SB who raises to $3. I reraise to $7 and he pops it back to $13. He's done this with hands like 45o before, so I push all my chips in, knowing he can't call me unless he's got the big pair. I want to take it down right now.

Too aggressive here? Too stupid here?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Too agressive here?

I guess it depends on what your goal is. If you really want only the chips that are in the pot now, it's a pretty good play. He's only calling with a hand that beats you, and the odds are pretty good that he doesn't have that type of hand. So this play will win you the $26 pot.

On the other hand, from what you describe, this is the type of player who will give you his whole stack in small pieces on later streets if you hit your hand.

So basically you have a choice between risking $100 to win $26 or risking $13 to win $100 later.

Guess which one I choose?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it depends on what your goal is. If you really want only the chips that are in the pot now, it's a pretty good play. He's only calling with a hand that beats you, and the odds are pretty good that he doesn't have that type of hand. So this play will win you the $26 pot.

On the other hand, from what you describe, this is the type of player who will give you his whole stack in small pieces on later streets if you hit your hand.

So basically you have a choice between risking $100 to win $26 or risking $13 to win $100 later.

Guess which one I choose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's really what I thought. Just kicking myself for lack of patience here.

By the way, what are you calling with in his position? He wound up calling with TT.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I push all my chips in, knowing he can't call me unless he's got the big pair. I want to take it down right now.

Too aggressive here? Too stupid here?

[/ QUOTE ]

AQo is a moderate hand at best and this is a decent-sized pot that is certainly worth taking down now, and that is particularly true in this case since if you do connect with a draw-heavy flop (e.g. A or Q with 2 other suited/connected cards), you'll have a hard time pushing him out. So the idea of taking it down now with overcards (instead of a PP) is fine.

However, you want to risk just enough to get him to fold, and no more. He's your maniac, so the exact number is up to you, but I doubt that its necessary to push. In my experience, even the most aggressive maniac will generally fold to a raise of $30-$40 in a spot like this. If he doesn't fold, then you'll need to play the flop carefully.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:49 PM

This would of been a perfect play if you waited for a better hand. If you had QQ or KK he would of taken the bait like a sucker.

With AQ you where in perfect position to call the $3. See a flop in position on him and know exactly where you stand. Im guessing no Ace or Queen came, so you could of gotten away from this one cheaply and stung him later.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, what are you calling with in his position? He wound up calling with TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you already know he'll pull this bet/3-bet stunt with almost any two cards, I'm willing to call with anything I was willing to raise with - any pocket pairs 77+, any suited broadway, medium suited connectors, or any unsuited broadway KJ+.

Keep in mind that my range here is so wide because I'm already heads up with him. If I was raising to isolate and had players left to act behind me, I'd be much more picky about what I'd raise with (especially in EP), since I'd need to have a hand that could play in a multiway pot if I got an additional caller or three.