Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 01:28 AM

Default I\'m psychotic Stud 8 board lock on 6th situation.

Is the call on 4th questionable against a reasonable player? In this situation he is not good and Seat 3's a donator in the game.

What about 5th? I have the current lock low but things can change quickly, appropriate or nuts?

Same deal with 6th, this squeeze good here?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.90 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (2.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises

6th Street - (14.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (26.45 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (29.45 BB)
Old 10-07-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: I\'m psychotic Stud 8 board lock on 6th situation.

Bueno
Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 AM

Good. Don't be afraid to jam.

Folding fourth against a player you repsect is a fine line.

Consider raising fourth if there's a chance Seat 3 will fold.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 AM

I think the call on fourth is OK, as you have some two-way potential. If I were in the bettor's position, with that board against the bring-in and a guy who just caught a Queen and checked, I would bet about anything. But I've always been a loose cannon.

I ran a scenario on twodimes where I gave the low hand A2 in the hole and the high hand pocket Queens. This is about as bad as it can be, and you have an edge. Your equity is .394, and you're putting in .333 of the money. I would jam. The other low hand can outrun you, sure, but you also have a re-draw. Fours are completely live, and that will be good for a sweep most of the time, even if you are up against a set.

When the other low hand just calls on the river, I would be sorely tempted to raise. I would think he'd raise if he had made a Six-low, so unless he caught a Seven on the end, you're good. I think the chances that you're still best are worth laying odds.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I've always been a loose cannon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any other way to play 8/b? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
When the other low hand just calls on the river, I would be sorely tempted to raise. I would think he'd raise if he had made a Six-low, so unless he caught a Seven on the end, you're good. I think the chances that you're still best are worth laying odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this portion of Andy's comment. You have a board eight-low on sixth street, and your opponent can see it. If he's made a seven-low, then he knows you needed the river to improve and he's going to bet. Since you know HE needs the river on sixth, there's no reason not to raise here since he's drawing to a worse eight-low.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Couldn't the low guy just call with a (now) smooth-eight?

And, if we give ppl credit for higher level thinking ever, couldn't he just call with any improved low, to make sure you don't fold, and probably get to reraise when it comes back?

I'm not saying I wouldn't raise, but it doesn't seem that clear cut to me. Of course I don't have as much experience in eight or better as you guys...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the backup guys.

When I looked this hand over after the session the first thing I thought of was that I missed a bet on the river, but I'm probably being results oriented.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:42 AM

On 4th, your live A is valuable towards making a high, & you may still have the best low draw. I wouldn't throw the hand away just yet. 5th st: Looks like seat 3 has something like A2 or 54. Seat 1 probably tried to push you off the hand & paid dearly for his effort. 6th st: Looks like #3 is hi after all. Seat 1 is going to have a hard time getting under you for lo. And the live 4 coming to you for a likely scoop would be sweet. Jamming has got to be right here. On 7th I think the raise is better than the call, but it's no big deal. Well played.