Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Degen # 1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know you aren't actually looking for advice here, but I would raise more preflop. Your opponents are giving up a lot by calling the larger raise, which they often will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not a fan of this large raise. I really don't like open raising to 95 on 10-15 blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think that this is a leak of mine. Could you (or anyone) expand on your reasoning for this and discuss your standard raise?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:39 AM

well i open raise as huge as possible with AA and KK...95 if i think they'll call, sometimes as much as 150 if i think they'll call it. but AK is just not as strong of a hand, it is most likely the best hand going into the flop, but its going to get beat on that flop a heckuva lot more than AA or KK will.

my main purpose for raising pre is to thin the field and try to get HU and take the pot down on the flop. theoretically i might as well do this with 73o, but the AK has some value as well.

Andre
Old 05-20-2005, 05:42 AM

See, but I think it's somewhat important to be raising about the same amount with AA, KK, AK, QQ, JJ and almost any hand you raise with. This is why I raise so much with AK, because I do it with KK also.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:42 AM

I dunno, I just don't feel comfortable making such huge raises preflop with AK. I make it like 45-60 depending on my mood, and usually 80-100 in round 2 depdending how I feel. I have trouble explaining, it just makes me feel more comfortable playing postflop.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I just don't feel comfortable making such huge raises preflop with AK. I make it like 45-60 depending on my mood, and usually 80-100 in round 2 depdending how I feel. I have trouble explaining, it just makes me feel more comfortable playing postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what curtains is trying to say, is that he is scared. scared of playing a flop for a significant portion of his chips. scared to get it in there a little bit. scared to LOSE a few meaningless chips. simply scared.

ok, i for some reason have started doing those sarcastic fragments at the start of some of my posts, mainly because im bored. whatever.

anyways, i hear what curtains is saying about not raising a whole lot on level 1 or 2 with AK. its just too easy to bleed chips with it. there are of older posts where i advocated actually LIMPING with AK preflop in levels 1 and 2. though im not a huge fan of this any more, im even LESS a fan of making a huge raise. holla
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 AM

I don't raise a lot with any hands. I basically raise about the same amount with all hands I'm open raising with in rounds 1+2.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Andathar #1

Bah, that's what I get for not looking at titles [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar #1 - I don't have a very good feel for this hand. I think I understand why you didn't, but I'd probably consider going ahead and making a normal continuation bet at that flop. What are people limping and calling your raise from the SB with, do you think? The hands that I think people are most likely to call with that they limped and call with are QJs, JTs, or T9s type hands, but I doubt you're seeing tons of people making that play. I'm up in the air about this.

The turn bet does look pretty weak, but I'm kind of surprised that the river got checked around following that. What was your plan if there was a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about people not sucking at the 109's; UTG took down that pot with Q9o. They suck just as much as the people at the 11's, just in slightly different ways. For example, I think I was getting called or raised there pretty much every time - that board just blows far too much for AK or most other hands I could be holding. The SB raise narrows down my hand too much, which is why I can't fire at a 2 Broadway flop without *something*. (So yeah, I was check/folding the river and only called the turn because I thought almost all my outs were good. I kinda wanted to know if people thought I should've folded the turn anyway.)

I would do exactly the same with JJ (maybe really pwn the limpers and raise to 200 or something) but I do make a continuation bet into this board, where I possibly wouldn't do it with an A showing. I check a lot of big underpairs HU and 3 way, which doesn't mean I won't call with them. It depends.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Jman28 #1

I think T95 is too big a raise with no limpers at Level 1. You are setting yourself up for difficulties later in the hand.

EDIT: Oops, wrong place this topic is already discussed in detail below.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: *Official* Big Slick Thread

I'm interested in how most people play AK when they have about 8-10 BB and it's folded to them (a quite common situation on the 50-100 blind level for example).

Make a standard raise of say 3 BB or just push allin (or vary it)? Do you take your position into consideration when choosing the amount to raise?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: *Official* Big Slick Thread

I posted this bubble hand yesterday:

UTG has been the table LAG but not a maniac. His stack size has gone up and down in 1000 chip movements. I have been playing TAG but getting very good cards so playing in more hands than I normally will play in the early levels. I've been HU with UTG once on level 4 (60/30) where he slow played a flopped set to my TPTK. I have had to try to recreate the hand - didn't save the HH at the time so no converter, sorry if it is a mess.

Blinds: 200/100

SB (t2400)
BB (t4150)
UTG (t4200)
Hero (t4250)

Preflop: Hero is on the Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero raises 700, 2 folds, UTG raises all-in.
Hero?