Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2003, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

I think it's close between folding and calling, but your hand is pretty good (compared to a random holding) and you have position, which you use very well. You won't steal the blinds with three people in the pot very often, so raising isn't a good option.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so only the dealer and the three blinds remained to act after me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's many people. More money to steal means it's harder to steal. Your opponents likely know that you'll widen your range of raising hands with three blinds to be picked on.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:27 PM

"That's many people. More money to steal means it's harder to steal. Your opponents likely know that you'll widen your range of raising hands with three blinds to be picked on."

What's the point of having a tightwad image if one never uses it?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:28 PM

Mason:
When you think about it, any bet (raise or lead bet) prior to the river is a semi-bluff bet. That is to say, any bet derives some value from the chance that at the end the bettor's hand will be best and also some value from the chance that the bet will get others to fold right away.

J9o would be, in the correct situation, a good hand to raise with when folded to in the cutoff. In the game situation in which you found yourself, the extra blind puts enough players after you and enough dead money in the pot that you have lost almost any "bluff" component of your bet. In addition, given the numbers of your opponents you will likely be facing hands that have better prospects than you do which reduces the "value" part of your bet past a point at which it's worth raising.

Overall, I think it's raise or fold here, and if raising is a bad idea, then that leaves folding.

Gino
Old 12-03-2003, 01:34 PM

I'm still confused about the whole posting in front of the button thing. Is this standard in Vegas?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:39 PM

There's nothing to indicate one never uses it. Just that one didn't use it this time.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:21 PM

I noticed this at the Bike when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Commerce does not allow the inside post, but it does now have buy the button.

Anything that stimulates action is good.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in (what most of you refer to as the) cutoff seat

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason, what do you refer to that seat as?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 PM

How would late position pre-flop play differ if the structure of the game was changed to that there were three blinds? I would think you would loosen up on your playing/raising standards because the reward for "stealing" the blinds was that much more.

But of course the blinds would be more tempted to also loosen up their calling standards for the same reason, especially if there were two big blinds (as there was in this case).

Didn't hold'em used to be played with only one blind? If so, wouldn't this situation be analogous to the change from one blind to two?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:38 PM

I gotta start watching what I say, I had no idea you could call up something from two years ago. Especially when it's such a smart-ass post.

Belated apologies, Mason. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]