Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Party rakeback

Ummm...

Unfortunately, Party holds the upper hand in this relationship. Business is business, but if they don't like our business, they can shut it down. We can't do that to them, so I would advise proceeding with caution. They can cut off players/affiliates, close accounts, take our money and there ain't SH!T we can do about it. They are fully aware that they offer the best product on the market for our needs.

Also, don't think that Party didn't anticipate this whole rakeback thing. They aren't stupid. There's a reason so many affiliates got their trackers released. I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to get away with things when we can, and I don't work directly for Party (even though it sounds that way sometimes), but it's in our best interest not to piss them off or jeopardize our accounts.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Competitive market rate, come on, u serious?
Reasonable. They try to get as much money they want and don't care about the players...

It would be great if 100s of semipros on 2+2 could make a deal and get out and ask for the best rakeback rate and the affiliate with the best offer gets it... That is a working market rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a seriously flawed understanding of economic theory.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They can cut off players/affiliates, close accounts, take our money and there ain't SH!T we can do about it. They are fully aware that they offer the best product on the market for our needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You overestimate the intellect and strategic expertise of a company like Party Poker. I work in consulting and most companies don't have any idea what is going on at a granular level in their business. In the most likely scenario Party does not really connect the dots between affiliates and high-volume players/sharks.

Instead, they look at metrics which say, "Affiliates bring in xyz number of players which produces $xyz which is xyz% of our revenue. Of those players we estimate 40% would have played with us anyways. 100% of rake * 40% of these players < 70% of rake * 100% of these players (after paying the affiliates 30%)." That's the equation. I would bet dollars to donuts that they are not dissecting the situation at a more granular or segmented level because A: most companies just never get that granular with their revenue segments, and B: Party is a young company with a ton of growth and profit and this is the type of company that hasn't ever been forced to 'tighten up' on revenues and cost modeling, so they are especially unlikely to look at it this way.

You're right, they CAN cut us off, but it's only in the same way I CAN be an astronaut and go to the moon. But trust me, Party ain't saying, "Boy, we sure got those multitabling sharks by the balls on this one." You're looking at it as if the Party execs are one of us, alert to the ins and outs of the tables and the "poker community" and the different types of players. They are aware of the differences between players, but not at such a level that they can totally screw us somehow.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you comment on the post earlier in this thread claiming to have gotten 32%?

[/ QUOTE ]
I will be glad to comment when I see someone get 32% for 3 months or longer, not just as an offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if you missed the following post or you know more about his affiliate deal than what he posted:

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW...I got 32% on Eurobet w/ an affiliate w/ a banner on 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could help me clear something up, or fill in something that I'm missing. Why does Party care what an affiliate does with the money they receive? Are they trying to establish some de facto control on a company's spending and budgeting?

EDIT: spel gut
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Johnny,

why have affiliates had their individual trackers removed then? I think Party is very aware of RB
Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It would be great if 100s of semipros on 2+2 could make a deal and get out and ask for the best rakeback rate and the affiliate with the best offer gets it. If he sees he can make 10000s of dollars getting 1.5% he might take that instead of not getting anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an excellent idea, I'm in.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What you guys received from your play on the skins should be considered a privilige and not looked at as a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The players get the blunt end of it, but you know what? Players aren't supposed to be getting rakeback to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you consider the tens (hundreds?) of thousands I'm sure you've made off your 140 signups?

I'm sure it was very, very hard work, and that the money barely compensates for all your time and effort.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It would be great if 100s of semipros on 2+2 could make a deal and get out and ask for the best rakeback rate and the affiliate with the best offer gets it. If he sees he can make 10000s of dollars getting 1.5% he might take that instead of not getting anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Erik, a new thread is in order. Letting folks know about collective bargaining before they start signing up new accounts would be a good idea.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:35 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
"No collusion is involved. There are way too many affiliates for this to be possible. What you are seeing is a reasonable, competitive market rate based on what's available to them."

Competitive market rate, come on, u serious?
Reasonable. They try to get as much money they want and don't care about the players.

They can do that because the players are not organized at all, not even the top pros on WPT etc.

In golf and other games the top pros is being paid for providing television coverage. In poker they have to pay themselves and contest for their own money while the WPT and
makes big bucks on television coverage.

That is a working market rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that there is a group of people planning on doing this. it's like small players' unions. whereas one person matters very little to an affiliate, if you could offer him 10 people and 200k hands a month that is pretty appealing.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Erik, a new thread is in order. Letting folks know about collective bargaining before they start signing up new accounts would be a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
You guys really need to get out of HUSH more. Go to the Internet Forum and let O' Doyle know you're interested, and under what circumstances you would join such a group (ie rakeback v. tourney/travel packages).