Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: \"never try to bluff a calling station\"

Last night's coverage did make Raymer look a little like a calling station, but the hand where he had 66 was a great call. He made a good read there. Devilfish was an absolute d**k at that table. And does anyone else notice those tacky two finger rings he has on?? What a douche!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night's coverage did make Raymer look a little like a calling station, but the hand where he had 66 was a great call. He made a good read there. Devilfish was an absolute d**k at that table. And does anyone else notice those tacky two finger rings he has on?? What a douche!

[/ QUOTE ]

All true, but this, combined with his penchant for calling ANY situation where he MIGHT be racing getting ok odds to do so, even for a BUNCH of his chips, lends itself further to the description. He made a couple REAL ugly calls in the 10 man TOC last year where he made his own pot odds and then called off a ton hoping not vs an overpair or dommed, but it seems there is something to be said for it.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night's coverage did make Raymer look a little like a calling station,

[/ QUOTE ]

He read Devilfish correctly ... how does that make him a calling station?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-21-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Last night's coverage did make Raymer look a little like a calling station,

[/ QUOTE ]

He read Devilfish correctly ... how does that make him a calling station?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of the show made him look like one, ESPECIALLY the overbet allin call of Seif with top/mid.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:59 PM

Why don't you read the rest of my post, Barron! I said that hand was a very good call by making a good read. There were one or two other hands that may make people think he is a calling station.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 PM

If you induce as many bluffs as I do, you need to be prepared to make some weak looking calls.

I'm sorry, but until you've been at the table with me, or if there's ever a chance to see me in a poker telecast where they they show every hand, you really have no clue what you're talking about. I do a lot more calling than many of the top players. And I do a LOT less bluffing than most people think. When I make those calls with marginal hands, it is exactly the kind of hand they show on TV. Either I'm making a great call, or a horrible call, and there's very little in-between. As such, it is something that plays well on TV.

The funny thing is, when it comes to top players who have actually been at the table with me for significant periods of time, none of them seem to have anything particularly negative to say about my game. When it comes to those who have no significant experience playing with me, some of them (maybe many of them) seem to think I'm a very weak player. In a sense, I feel a certain kinship with Gus Hansen. Not saying I play like him at all, just that those who only know him from TV often consider him a luckbox with little talent, while those who sit at the table with him consider him an extremely tough and capable opponent, albeit a semi-maniacal one.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-21-2005, 03:27 PM

Greg, do you think Seif would have laid down that 2-4 to a reasonable SB raise (3X)? I have been arguing with friends about it. I am guessing he would have called a raise in that situation against you. I don't think there is anything you could have done to avoid losing a lot of chips on that hand.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:45 PM

I think you may have gotten my inference wrong. You make alot of plays that are +EV as long as you are not dommed, which is obviously fine, but I personally feel that you dedicate too many chips in some of these allin preflop confrontations when you have a marginal hand at best. I'm not saying it's bad, and I'm DEFINITELY not saying what I do is better, or even that I've been in similar situations $$$-wise, but I do have extensive experience in 10 player left tourneys, and creating your own pot odds isn't a good strategy in them, especially when you are capable of outplaying your opponents, as you are. Why leave it up to luck when to can utilize your obvious skill?

Also, I only commented on what I saw and have seen, and said it as such. THe rest of your gamre I have little clue about, but I;m thinking you *may* have a little game.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg, do you think Seif would have laid down that 2-4 to a reasonable SB raise (3X)?

[/ QUOTE ]

From reading Greg's post, I got a gist that he does not want Mark to lay down 2-4 even if he raised.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:28 PM

Greg, should you scan down here, in these sportsmanship devoid times, you really are a bastion of light. Last night, once again, I was quite proud of you. As Nick said to Gatsby, "You're better than the bunch of them!" Please keep playing and winning.