Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Party skins with new update of Zonealarm - Anyone else?

[ QUOTE ]

A) Do you have a reference for this (not that I don't believe you, just interested)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's something that someone recently posted at FCP which gives us a clue on elements used in pokerstars' shuffling methods. linky (edit: forget this link, AngusThermopyle's link is better)

To the OP:
In what way were you not able to chat? Are you unable to click on the textbox and see the blinking cursor or you manage to see the cursor and type the words, but after you hit enter, it does not show up in the chat box?
Does re-enabling mouse tracking in zonealarm immediately remedy this issue?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To the OP:
In what way were you not able to chat? Are you unable to click on the textbox and see the blinking cursor or you manage to see the cursor and type the words, but after you hit enter, it does not show up in the chat box?
Does re-enabling mouse tracking in zonealarm immediately remedy this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can enter the chat like normal, but it never appears in the window. I've never had chat revoked, so I don't know how it compares.
I haven't tried re-enabling the mouse tracking. I will see what happens.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:00 PM

Just tried pokerstars. No difference. Zonealarm gave no warning.

Tried party with the "mouse tracking and keylogging" enabled. Chat worked like normal.

It looks like party is tracking all keystrokes. Possibly to counter IM abuse or cheating?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:01 PM

This is interesting, I may start recommending the latest version of ZoneAlarm to the army of table coaching idiots out there.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 PM

Zonealarm pro?

My free version doesn't display any warnings, nor does it have that option in the preferences.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zonealarm pro?

My free version doesn't display any warnings, nor does it have that option in the preferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. OP?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Yeah, I got the same message (I'm running ZoneAlarm Pro), and denied it. However, all I was doing was checking to see what I had in my account, so I didn't notice any chat problems. I'll go take a peek later and see what happens.

-Mike
Old 08-15-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only noticable effect is that I can no longer chat. I see others chat, but mine is blocked. Strange?

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen it too. If you don't tell ZoneAlarm to give the Party-skin client the privileges it asks for you cannot chat. The text you type appears in the chat entry window, but when you hit <return> it is not displayed in the dealer window. Experiments have shown that no other player can see your chat either and it isn't in the HH.

If you grant permission everything is fine. You must restart the client process for it to take effect.

You can permanently configure this so you don't get bothered each time you start up a Party skin. Open the ZoneAlarm window and go to <Program Control><Programs> and find the <SkinName> Poker Client Application. Set "Trust Level" to three green bars to let Party run wild on your computer but have no problems. Set it to one green bar to retain control over your machine but not be able to chat.

Anyway that's my experience under Windows XP.