Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: using back button deletes work

I personally agree 100% except for one thing. Mason and David read in threaded mode. I generally have to "force" Mason to put things in flat mode when we discuss threads, and even then he won't do it unless he has trouble finding the post he's looking for. This tells me that many people not familiar with computers may be doing the same.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the original 2+2 forum was a threaded thing too. i would suggest that threading isn't what's natural to people, only that david and mason learned that way and thus it's normal for them.

if it were a case of general usability i'm certain you'd find threading by default on major forums, and see threading as a 'feature' of modern/popular board software.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:52 AM

I think you're right, but it would be a very tough sell
Old 11-15-2005, 01:02 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i certainly realize that they're very important customers.

if this is pitched by saying 'hey there's less desireable/proven stuff over here that might work that supports threads' i'm sure it could be a tough sell. if it's something like 'look we can't do what we need to do if we limit ourselves to specific antiquated features' i would think it would be easier. forum users are totally accustomed to flat mode by default. it's standard.

'would be' is a pretty scary phrasing too. has a decision already been virtually locked already?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Mat,

If you're seriously considering getting new forum software, please please please support LaTeX.

GoT
Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

If you're seriously considering getting new forum software, please please please support LaTeX.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be so awesome. Do any boards (at all) support LaTeX now?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be so awesome. Do any boards (at all) support LaTeX now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Physicsforums does. That's the only other forum I frequent, so I don't know of any others.

GoT
Old 11-15-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it would be better to focus on 'real' issues right now instead of esoteric, back-burner stuff like advanced technical typesetting.

until the big things are sorted out suggestions like this are just going to be distractions.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it would be better to focus on 'real' issues right now instead of esoteric, back-burner stuff like advanced technical typesetting.

until the big things are sorted out suggestions like this are just going to be distractions.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're def right. It's just things like splitting forums, adding new ones, etc can be done anytime. And I don't know [censored] about programming or anything but I would think that something like supporting LaTeX would be something that could only be changed when making major reformatting changes. So if this is the last time in a few years 2+2 is able to make that change... You get what I mean, but yeah, I know [censored] about this stuff so if it's possible to make that change whenever, I'll shut up.

GoT
Old 11-15-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mat,

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

how is it that you moved up on my coolness and dorkness ladders simultaneously.

c