Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Need help with table selection

Imostly play .50/1.00 at Party, but I'm thinking about going to Paradise to do a promo. I'm pretty fishy, so I need all the help I can get, lol. I know table selection is important, but I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Pretty much all Party gives you is average pot size. I could watch the game for a while, and figure it out, but then there won't be a seat available.

What do you guys look for in a table?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Need help with table selection

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
basically, you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] sitting to my right of course

*Seriously, I think you have bigger problems to worry about than table selection. Try to have an aggressive person not sitting directly to your left and read SSHE or study up here in the forum. This is much more important than table selection, at least now.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
basically, you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] sitting to my right of course

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ok. I can't work out me sitting right next to me without addressing some deep seated mental issues that I'd just as soon remain hidden.

I'm working on my game. I've got SSHE on it's way for Christmas and I spend way too much time on here reading just about every hand that gets posted. I've seen improvement already. I was just wondering how to tell which table to sit at when I have a choice.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Imostly play .50/1.00 at Party, but I'm thinking about going to Paradise to do a promo. I'm pretty fishy, so I need all the help I can get, lol. I know table selection is important, but I just don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Pretty much all Party gives you is average pot size. I could watch the game for a while, and figure it out, but then there won't be a seat available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just play really tight for the first few times around the table until you can start to get a read on people. If you don't like the table makeup then find another. You'll loose more money being at a bad table then the little you loose on the blinds.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:39 AM

A fish to sit to the immediate left of.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 AM

Trout-

I play .5/1 a little 1/2 at party and stars.

This is what I do, it requires Poker Tracker and PAHUD. Combined an $80 invetment but SOOOO worth it (free trial for both). For me, this method works best with Party.

Open 4-5 tables at my limit and with the lowest avg pot size (3-5 BB - This may be controversial but hear me out). The reason I use lowest avg pot size is that I have found that lower pot avg's = more passive players. These tables all seem to have small pots when I'm not involved with a hand, but when I am the pot's are nice. When I used to choose higher/highest avg pot it always seemed to be filled with too many TAGs and maniacs. Why play these when you can play uber-passives.

I observe at least 10-20 hands (yes I know your sittng around watching and are impatient to play but the time invested is worth it).

After I have my sample of observed hands in, I choose a table with the highest % of loose-passives (using bison's Notes on Notes. )

If I have a choice of seats I put any TAG's on my right and get into it.

edit: p.s., I also find that lower pot size has no/small wait so once I choose a table I can get right into it.

p.p.s - You can only open 1 table at a time with PAHUD trial version so you cannot do a mutli-table analysis unless you pay the $25 (again well worth it)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks loyalguard!! That's exactly what I needed. I was sort of thinking the same thing about pot size, and that link to bison's notes is awesome. I'm definitely getting pokertracker and PAHUD looks pretty interesting, so I'll add that to my list.

lol - I'm a profitable player, until you count all the dough I've dropped on poker related books, programs, chips, etc...
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM

Grunch and I enjoy sitting at empty or near empty tables. Let the fish come to you. If you're comfortable with HUSH play, this is a gold mine. If you're not, you should be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].