Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not much of a one pocket player but do have the upscale 1P book. Not bad. You guys need to get the new "Banking with the Beard" book by freddie bentivegna if you don't have it. Pretty good IMO. I have not worked my way through it and may have caught an error or two in the book, but my banking improved immediately after working on a couple of the things in there. He has some bank pool specfic stuff and some one pocket stuff. One diagram of a Bugs Rucker 1 pocket run out was sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard of that book actually...they're advertising it on onepocket.org i believe....

ah bugs....i can only imagine...the guy was amazing....
Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know Pat Johnson of r.s.b. fame?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope - haven't been to rsb for years. I used to knock 'em around once in a while with a guy name Gino who used to post a lot there (and got into a lot of flame wars). I met him back in the early 90s when he about 16 and he was Tommy Karabotsos's protege. Gino was a brilliant billiards player with lots of attitude.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Anyone have book or website suggestions for a complete n00b starting out? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 03:37 PM

"Play your best pool" by Phil Capelle
Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys need to get the new "Banking with the Beard" book by freddie bentivegna if you don't have it.

[/ QUOTE ] I will definitely have to pick that up. I used to love to sweat Freddie giving up monster weight to the young turks at the old Chicago Billiard Cafe. He was a character and a half. I never saw him play straight pool, but his 9 ball, bank game and one pocket were mighty fine.

As far as I'm concerned the old Cafe was the center of the pool & billiard universe in the 80s and early 90s.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have book or website suggestions for a complete n00b starting out? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

robert byrne standard book of billiards. then buy his others. he's the top. (incidentally, anyone else besides me sense a certain resemblence between byrne and ray zee??).
Old 08-04-2005, 03:52 PM

This thread is bringing back some memories for me. I started in pool and 3-cushion billirads when I was 13 years old. I was lucky enough to have a good teacher who was top dog in our area for about 30 years or so. Although his skills had declined some by time he started teaching me (he was in his mid fifties) he was extremely knowledgeable about the game. He died earlier this year and is missed by quite a few people.

I rarely had a summer job in my mid-teens since I could make enough to get by on shooting pool.

There weren't many straight pool shooters around but a group of us would occasionally pool some money and we would get three chances at the table, highest run would take all. Best I ever did was four straight racks, missing my break on the fifth rack.

I ended up being more of a 3-cushion billiard player as time passed with my two highest runs being 12 once and 10 twice. I only play a dozen times or so a year now but have managed a few runs of 9 recently.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:58 PM

...I'm not worthy....

The poolroom has a greater collection of colorful characters than the card room - discuss.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I'm not worthy....

The poolroom has a greater collection of colorful characters than the card room - discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that might deserve its own thread....i'm sure some will weigh in there that have skipped this one...

but if not, at first i said "easily"...thinking about it though, and reading some of doyle's old stories, i don't think its that easy. I think pool offers you a chance to do more...ie, play someone without your tip, play one handed, etc....and we've got Bucktooth [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 04:01 PM

My best at straight pool is 12. I've yet to run a 9-ball rack out though (ie no 9ball combos count). That pisses me off.