Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Calling preflop raises

[ QUOTE ]
Example, T9s on the button with 5 limpers, I'd raise just for better odds later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa...the needle on my bad advice meter just pinned! Betting/raising on an early street so that you'll have the pot odds to call a bet on a later street is never, ever the right thing to do. In your defense, this is usually something you see people saying about "pumping" their draws on the flop (I think I may have said it once or twice, but those records have been lost in the mists of time), but it applies here, too.

I raise T9s on the button after 5 limpers because it's a reasonable multi-way hand with a number of different ways to win, and if I hit on the flop I want to be GIVING good odds to the chasers, not GETTING good odds for myself.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM

The biggest thing to remember whether you are at a loose or a tight table is that cold-calling a raise is usually a bad move. You should usually be re-raising if your hand is good enough to play against a raise (AA-TT and A/Ks). For cold-calling to be correct I want to a have a good hand, good position and multiple players already calling the raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 PM

You're right, my bad. My holiday party is tonight and my brain is already shutting down. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can call 2 cold with some good multiway hands when there are a lot of people cc'ing before you,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to nit, from my understanding this isn't a cold call. Cold calling IIRC is when someone raises and either you're next to act or it's folded to you. Barring unusual circumstances I will cold call with AQs, AJs and KQs. That's it.

I got a chance to cold call last night [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Folded on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me ask you, what hand would you call 3 bets with that you wouldn't raise to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good point.

Thanks again to everyone, this is really good stuff. I'm glad I asked.
Rob
Old 12-07-2005, 07:10 PM

Its nice to see a good thread started by a n00b.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 PM

I have a somewhat related question:

suppose I raise from MP with A9s (the table was fairly tight, often folding to any raises) and it's raised and re-raised behind me. I'm certainly behind at this point, but am I obligated to call? most likely the pot will be 13 SB, but if I flop a flush draw my implied odds should be thru the roof with so much action pre-flop.