Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: slowplay QQ on QJ3r?

Only if by "slowplay" you mean, "Bet out the flop and only call a raise so that I can check-raise the em-effer on the turn." Of course, if nobody raises the flop, you should be the turn, too.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[doing the grunch thing]

bet, bet, bet. You raised preflop UTG. If someone in LP had reraised you preflop I'd still try to bet/3-bet or bet/call and then check/raise the turn. It seems like what people do best in these games is call so give them the chance to do it.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard party table. MP1 is especially passive, I've seen him call with amazing hands on the river

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had to swallow some puke back, you dick.

Seriously, why would you slowplay? If they specialize in making awesome (stupid) calls, let them. You'll get multiple calls on this flop. Ranging from a single overcard hoping to catch, a gutshot, oesd, any jack, the other queen, some underpairs, sometimes a 3 and definitely an overpair if it is somehow out there. Getting multiple calls from opponents on the flop is just as good as inducing one opponent to spew multiple bets.

You don't need to let them catch up to anything, they'll do it themselves.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:01 PM

I don't see the value to slowplay here. The QJ on the flop will likely give someone a taste and keep them playing along. you are open to being drawn out here, so might as well make them pay along the way.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:08 PM

grunch.

Bet the flop. You were the pre-flop aggressor. Make everyone pay to stay in especially when you've got equity.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:11 PM

Whether or not to slow play is really a 2 part question and both answers have to be yes.

1. Is the board appropriate and is my hand strong enough. For this particular hand the answer is a marginal yes. You have top set and there are no major draws (QJ could be the makings of a straight, as T9 and KT are two hands people like to play at these limits).

2. Will betting cause them to fold?

That's the part you have to use your reads for. If they will call a bet go ahead and bet. Slow playing only works in theory if they would fold to a bet now but not to a bet on a later street.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM

They called 2 preflop, they'll call one on the flop. Just bet. There are enough broadway cards here that someone is bound to have caught a piece of the flop.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:27 PM

slowplay when the pot is small to build it, or when you have a monster hand and opponants will only improve to second best.

The texture of the board was pretty ragged in this case but it was still incorrect to slowplay.

Greg
Old 11-29-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only if by "slowplay" you mean, "Bet out the flop and only call a raise so that I can check-raise the em-effer on the turn."

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

For me, one of the main questions I always ask is, "Can I count on one of these guys to bet if I check?" There was no aggression pre-flop, so without reads the answer here is no.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:43 PM

:grunching

You probably missed out on some bets by slowplaying. You don't have any position so you're not able to punish villains with a raise on the turn anyway.