Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Books Currently For Sale

Yesterday I made a trip to the local book store (Hastings) to find some CD's and maybe buy a book or two. Looking at the current selection of political books for sale, it's pretty easy to see why the political environment in this country is so screwed up. They had a really large selection of books on current politics, but nowhere did I see a book that seemed to provide an overall centrist view or analysis and/or examine solutions to current problems.

Every single book in that section seemed to be written as an indictment of the opposing side. Yes, I know this is the type of thing that sells books. But I would imagine there would be at least a few books for sale that weren't a blamefest. Something that I did find particularly interesting (not in a good way, in a sad way) was a set of books that had almost identical covers, one was titled "Why I Hate Republicans", the other "Why I Hate Democrats". I can't see why any intelligent person would spend money on books like these.

I would think there would be at least some market for books that are based on a centrist view of current issues without all of the blaming the other side. Isn't that why most people buy this type of book, to gain knowledge of issues and examine what may be the best view? Or do people just buy these books to solidify their hatred of the opposing party? Any ideas?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default Re: Books Currently For Sale

A book tidbit:

link

Reading list

"When Natan Sharansky stepped into Condoleezza Rice's West Wing office at 11:15 last Thursday morning, he had no idea the national security adviser would soon be named the next secretary of state. He was just glad to see her holding a copy of his newly published book, 'The Case for Democracy,' " Joel C. Rosenberg writes at National Review Online (www.nationalreview.com).

" 'I'm already halfway through your book,' Rice said. "Do you know why I'm reading it?'

"Sharansky, a self-effacing man who spent nine years in KGB prisons (often in solitary confinement) before becoming the first political prisoner released by Mikhail Gorbachev, hoped it had to do with his brilliant analysis and polished prose." Mr. Rosenberg said.

"Rice smiled. 'I'm reading it because the president is reading it, and it's my job to know what the president is thinking.'

"A close friend of the president had sent over a copy several weeks earlier with a note urging him to take a close look. The president nearly polished it off during a weekend at Camp David, then suggested to Rice that she read it as well."
Old 11-22-2004, 11:11 AM

buy micheal moore's book, big fat stupid white man. You can learn about a top notch theorist's opinions on all of america's national and mostly foreign policy.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
buy micheal moore's book, big fat stupid white man. You can learn about a top notch theorist's opinions on all of america's national and mostly foreign policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume this is an attempt at sarcasm.