Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Tourney-makers should be more discriminating in their subjects
no 9 29.03%
yes 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Check-raising a with a draw..... whoops.....

I really just wanted to take the pot down right here. I didn't expect to get 3-bet; I was just snapping off what seemed like a position bet. Is it even correct to call the reraise? I'm getting like 920:310 immediate odds, which isn't really enough, obviously he's not folding on the turn no matter what so I have implied odds, but I'm not folding on the turn either so that doesn't really help - basically I'm effectively getting 1300:690 with 2 cards to come.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t1435)
MP3 (t645)
CO (t2230)
Button (t1120)
SB (t1295)
Hero (t1235)
UTG (t2015)
UTG+1 (t1455)
MP1 (t2070)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t90</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t710</font>,
Old 06-17-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Check-raising a with a draw..... whoops.....

Tainted outs, poor end of the straight draw. I check/fold this.

But I think you might have the pot odds to call after raising here if he has what is most likely, an overpair. I would still fold and save chips.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tainted outs, poor end of the straight draw. I check/fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like check/folding here, your hand is pretty disguised and thus you have decent implied odds. I don't like my c/r at all anymore though.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't like check/folding here, your hand is pretty disguised and thus you have decent implied odds. I don't like my c/r at all anymore though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the idea of the c/r is horrendous, though it is too large. Make it more like 250 and it will be easier to fold to a reraise. Altermatively, betting out 90 and folding to a reraise is fine.

As it is, I think it's fairly borderline what you do next. I haven't looked at the odds carefully, but my feeling is you're not getting the right price to compete against a set or a better straight draw and just barely are against pretty much anything else. So, given that, maybe a fold is best, especially since you still have a manageable amount of stack left. (My initial reaction in the poll was to push over, but the more I look at it the less I like it.) (EDIT: Ack. Forgout about the flush draw, and pair and flush draw is an entirely conceivable holding. I think you need to fold.)
Old 06-17-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the idea of the c/r is horrendous, though it is too large. Make it more like 250 and it will be easier to fold to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely.

[ QUOTE ]
Altermatively, betting out 90 and folding to a reraise is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think this is the best line. I build the pot a little bet when I do get there and I have a much better idea of buttons hand based on his action (in other words, much better than mine if I get raised). Plus there's plenty of equity in the times I just pick up the pot now.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Check-folding

I'm surprised so many people say to check fold. The stacks are deeper than they are on party. Do those of you who check-fold here do something else if the flop is rainbow?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Check-folding

Certainly, since it give you up to two more outs. Im still not that fond of spending all that many chips on this hand but if someone gives me the odds to draw I will. I would like it much more with 98s.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Implied Odds

I'm tempted to think here that our implied odds are great. I've found most people assume you're after the flush with a two-flush on board when you check call. That means if he holds a made hand and we hit our six clean outs, we're gonna do really well. I think I'd check call here and expect to get much better than 4:1 back on my t90 call if I hit the river.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like it much more with 98s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Are you that certain that the button has a pair on the board that our overs count as outs? Do you think the button has his own 98?

I agree that having 98 here is better than having 45, but I wouldn't say much.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:27 AM

I think it's 'much'. You've got, say, seven clean outs on average; 98 would add at least...call it 3, maybe four. That counts as 'much', IMO.

Here, I'd check/call a street and see what hit the turn.