Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Who fires off one more here?

It's only gotta work at least once in 11 tries for it to be profitable, right? Or is this too aggressive on the river?

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 08-07-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Who fires off one more here?

If you don't bet, you can't win.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:06 PM

I would definately have a final stab at taking the if there were only one opponent, however with two the chances of successfully stealing here go way down. I think I would just give up on the river given that it's 0.50/1 as someone bound to call you.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:30 PM

I would give up here and I wouldn't call if someone bet. The pot is pretty big though, I just don't see a better hand folding if they made it this far. On the other hand, somebody with a busted flush or straight draw who made a pair might fold if you bet. But against two players...nah. A bet is a bet.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:36 PM

So, always bet?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 PM

I think if you're heads up on the river, you can take a stab at it and bet, and hope your opponent folds. With two opponents though, the chances of getting them both to lay down (esp at .5/1) is slim. Unless you had a read on both of those guys that they'll fold often on the river for one more, I would have given up, and wouldn't have called a river bet.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:53 PM

With two opponents in front of me and a flop with a queen and a jack, I am check/folding the river. It is very unlikely that both were drawing and will fold to the single river bet, especially with the typical passive tendencies of LL players.

Haupt_234
Old 08-09-2004, 11:46 AM

Again I'm going to advocate check-raising the flop. I think this is an even better example than my previous for three reasons.
1)That kind of aggression may intimidate players on later streets, allowing you to steal if you don't make your flush.
2)If succesful on the flop, a c/r will pad the pot in case you do make your flush.
3)If you end up giving the free card, the diminished pot will give your opponents smaller odds to call, again allowing you to steal easier. Does anyone agree with this rationale; does one of the aforementioned reasons outweigh the others or is there something I'm completely overlooking?