Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Warning to underage players

So I'm playing a little 6/12 at Prairie Meadows in Des Moines last night when the bad beat jackpot goes off. AA vs. QQ on a board of QAQK10 - big celebration.

It's about a 40k jackpot - winner get 20k - winner of the hand gets 10k - the rest of us (8) get to split 10k. Nice!

They go through all of the standard stuff, getting ID's, filling out forms, counting out the deck, checking the tape, yadda yadda yadda. About a half hour has gone by, and all of a sudden one of the floor people comes and quietly pulls one player away. It's barely noticed as we're all yuking it up.

Now an hour has gone by, and we're getting antsy. This type of thing usually takes 30-45 minutes (I'm told by others who have been a part of a BBJ before). Then it's an hour 15 and the floor says "we're getting closer boys". Then at an hour and a half they come over and start racking up chips that are in the spot from the kid they took away. The floor tells us that he was underage - $H\T, are they going to nullify this thing? Nope, they're taking his share and splitting it up amongst the rest of us. His money that was on the table gets confiscated and donated to the state gambling program 1-800-BETS-OFF or some such program.

Sucks for him, but that's the risk of playing underage. It put an extra $150 in everybody else's pocket. FWIW, we were told that had he been either the winner or loser of the hand, the whole thing would have likely been nullified.

On my way out I ask the floor if the kid is going to get in any trouble with the law - and I get a simple "Yes".
Old 03-30-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Warning to underage players

That's what the moron gets for giving them his ID. The "Oh, I forgot at home" line would have worked just fine. Then he gets a couple of days to get a fake one, or send a friend, or just forget the whole deal. They can't take your chips for forgetting your ID.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Instead of "thats what he gets for giving them his ID", how about "thats what he gets for breaking the law"
Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Ow! [censored] fascist!
Old 03-30-2005, 04:06 PM

How can something be so backwards....you can go and fight in a war at 18 and yet can't even sit and play poker in a quiet, SAFE environment. sdrawkcaB cigoL if ya ask me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They can't take your chips for forgetting your ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they can. Doesn't mean they will, but they can.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what the moron gets for giving them his ID. The "Oh, I forgot at home" line would have worked just fine. Then he gets a couple of days to get a fake one, or send a friend, or just forget the whole deal. They can't take your chips for forgetting your ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree. And to those that say hes breaking the law...well, he is...but of all the laws to break, playing poker while under 21 is hardly anything to call him a moron over...I've been there before [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can something be so backwards....you can go and fight in a war at 18 and yet can't even sit and play poker in a quiet, SAFE environment. sdrawkcaB cigoL if ya ask me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it kinda makes sense.

You're not allowed to gamble because when you're 18, you really don't have a full adult capacity for good judgment.

Which is exactly why they harvest 18-year-olds to go get killed when the olde pharts need to make a point. Anyone significantly older would realize that they're being taken advantage of.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of "thats what he gets for giving them his ID", how about "thats what he gets for breaking the law"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and you've never broken one have you? Of course not. Otherwise you would have just posted some really lame ass hypocritical bullshit...
Old 03-30-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been covered a thousand tims before, gambling and fighting in a war are two mutually exclusive things and have no relevance when it comes to age limits. If you feel the gambling age should be lower that's fine but it has nothing to do with war.
[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]