Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably

But seriously though, what hand in poker do you strive to get every hand. What hand would you love to have and see someone go all in infront of you? Seriously man my sister could have made this call. No offence but if you cant stand the heat- stay out of the kitchen.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:37 AM

uhm...sklansky clearly lines out a situation where you fold aces preflop in a tournament.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: How deep, before you fold AA, if ever? Am I just a pussy? Probably.

So what will you do when you flop top set and someone pushes in on you and you're pretty sure they have a flush draw?

FOLD?

If you can't play the game correctly get up from the table.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I havent read this thread at all, but this post is kind of funny because I some guy do this. I was in the 20 game at the Stone and I there was this huge commotion at the no limit game because some guy moved all in before the flop and the last one to act mucked aces face up. That had to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen when it comes to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn''t the guy just wear a sign around his neck that said, "I am the biggest puzzy to ever play poker".
Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 AM

I was playing 10-25 nl at foxwoods, this game isnt held usually, however this was a tournament weekend so it was there.
I have KQ on the button with about $20k
and this lil weenie lil sh*t with about $15k makes it 500 to go in MP. Now this looked to me who did not want any action at all, so i figured he might have sometin like 10-10 and just wanted the blinds. I raised to like 3k. He raised to 7k,I pushed(horrible push but watever,lets assume i was drunk.)He thinks for like an eternity, and mucks AhAs face up. I was just shocked, I mean folding AA preflop is the definition of "lil weenie scared sh*t" but folding AA preflop FACE UP!! I started laughing and said..."good fold, i had 3 of those guys."
It just seems like committing poker suicide, folding AA preflop FACE UP!!!
Guess what happens in the following few hours, every1 puts him all in on everyhand they're in and he folds, until he's down to like 2k and then he flops the top boat, and on the river he has like 1k left and the other guy pushes..he thinks for like 5 min before he calls, saying "U have quads dont u"
Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I started laughing and said..."good fold, i had 3 of those guys."

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 AM

I CLEARLY agree that it is a major mistake to ever fold aces like I described.

However.

I guess I am wondering, pretend you started at whatever limit you usually play $.10/.25 or $25/50 or whatever. By some chance of fate you end up building your stack to some huge size and you move up to the next biggest game. And then the next.

There has to be some number where you wouldn't call preflop with AA for your entire stack.

This is synonimous (sp?) to Brunson (in super system) proposing the question, would you risk everything you have, your house, your car, your savings account--everything: if you were given 2-1 odds. Most wouldn't. (Bruson said he would).

Have any of you ever built up a stack so large that you reached that magic number? In other words has anyone ever made so much one night at a table (or moving up to the next level, up and up), that they were uncomfortable with the amount of money on the table in front of them (so to fold AA preflop)?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:38 AM

From page 7 of "Pot Limit & No Limit Poker" by Reuben & Ciaffone, Rule 1 of Poker's Ten Commandments:

(1) Never play with money you can't afford to lose

At pot-limit, everything you have on the table is in play and may all be lost on one hand. Playing with the idea in mind that you will only put a portion of your funds into the pot, unless you have a cinch, is wholly impractical. In poker, most money is made on hands where it is perfectly possible you will wind up losing. The horrible handicap incurred by being unwilling to follow through on good hands far outweighs any technical advantage you may have over your opponents.

A player in a no-limit hold'em game had a fantastic lucky streak. When the game started he had been in desperate financial straits. First he won enough to pay the rent, then to pay back the money he owed left, right and center. At his high water mark, his whole life had turned around. His wife could even be treated to a new dress.

At this point he picked up two aces. The betting before it even got to him was very fierce. There was a bet and three raises. The correct poker move was to commit all his money. He pondered and dwelt, but the threat of financial ruin was too strong. He mucked the aces and quit the game. Clearly he should have gone home earlier.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 AM

The only situation I've ever heard of where you might fold aces pre-flop in a cash game is when you have a huge stack in a capped buy-in game (say 7 or 8 buy-ins), can outplay EVERYONE post-flop and are pushed in by an opponent who has you covered.

The reasoning that I've heard for this is that if you have a huge stack and can outplay your opponents post-flop, it is better to find spots after the flop where you can play monster pots after the flop with huge edges, rather than take a large edge pre-flop and possibly lose the ability to play for those monster pots after the flop.

That's not to say that I would ever fold aces pre-flop, that's just something I've heard.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:44 AM

It might be right to fold AA preflop in a tournament, if you are not shortstacked and close to the money and with a ton of players to the flop, because if you bust out u get nothing. For example if i had T20000 in chips,with the blinds at 250-500. You throw in a raise, of 3k and some1 pushes with like 25k more, and another person calls with abou the same stack ($25k) and you are one spot away from the money, you might consider folding because, one of the 2 would bust out and you would be in the money. This is STRICTLY tournament tho and an extreme case. I think the ICM might be helpful here. I dont know if I could throw aces here anyways, but it might not be the worst play ever.
This thinking of mine, may not be correct, as i dont play many tourneys. In a cash game tho, it is never right to fold AA preflop,as you are a huge fave and in a cash game, all you worry about is making the right play each hand.