Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Did you like the paradise new look?
Yuk. Its so ugly 1 9.09%
Great. I like it 4 36.36%
I dont care. I dont play there anyway 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2004, 08:34 PM

Default Re: How do you play KQo?

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise to about half my stack and hope the button called or re-raised me all-in. If I know I'm going all-in anyway, why not try to induce a bluff re-raise? If I just get called, I can look at the flop and decide what my next move is, having a bit more info to make a decision with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rare (dare I say never) is the time when you should put in 1/2 your stack preflop when planning to possibly fold on the flop. Also, you don't really want him to call/raise here. Sure KQ is a pretty good hand 3-handed, but it's not a favorite over a weak ace, which might have folded to an all-in and might come over the top to a weak raise like this.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise to about half my stack and hope the button called or re-raised me all-in. If I know I'm going all-in anyway, why not try to induce a bluff re-raise? If I just get called, I can look at the flop and decide what my next move is, having a bit more info to make a decision with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I disagree here is, most of the hands that you would be reraised all in with would contain an ace anyways, which you wouldn't be a favorite against. Plus if the flop didn't hit you right, it would be very hard to play post flop, especially if the big blind got even a piece of the flop.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would raise to about half my stack and hope the button called or re-raised me all-in. If I know I'm going all-in anyway, why not try to induce a bluff re-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you don't want to see a flop.

Any time the blinds are significantly large, which is almost all the time in tournaments, you would rather win them without a fight. This is especially true here where the blinds are 20% of your stack.

You're not folding this hand, so you move in to maximise the chance that you win uncontested. If he calls, he calls, and you're in with a decent chance a lot of the time.

Guy.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:20 AM

This is tourney play, not a ring game. IN this example, he is the short stack and needs to do anything he can to build his stack. He can't wait around for AA or KK to get aggressive because it won't be long before the blinds will bleed his stack to having no clout whatsoever. WHen you have no clout, you have zero chance of scaring someone out of a pot.

There are many lesser hands that would be worth shoving all in hoping to steal the blinds, but with the ability to handle a call with a lot of hands that a big stack might defend his blind with.

1BB may seem like a small amount, but at this point in the tourney, the BB is rather large and at the very least it buys him an extra orbit.