Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Results

lol. i was trying to be nice. my new plan for mondays. so far its not working out.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 PM

Some background. I saw people connecting with trash all day and the deck hitting them. The fact that I was worried about tilting had a whole lot more to do with my not wanting to say 'Well trash has been working for everybody else, so I'm gonna start playing my rags' That sometimes happens when I'm card dead for a whole session, but maybe I'm the only one.

I was there with a friend of mine who got stacked off by the same guy about an hour prior to this hand when the villian (same guy) played 4-5o and the flop hit him. I also saw him play 6-9 off in a raised pot and other garbage in a raised pot. As for the fold. I do question if it was weak, but I was really confident in my read. Like I said, I was more than 80% sure I was beat. This guy didn't make moves at all and his check/call signalled a lot more strength to me than a check/raise would have. The question is how confident do you have to be in your read before you don't pay off a value bet? Also, my read was correct.

The question of the stakes is not relevant to this decision. I'm pretty comfortable playing at the stakes that I do. I am a winner at those stakes. Part of the reason I think is because I don't continue to play when I feel myself ready to bleed my stack away trying to catch a flop with my garbage cards just because that is what chance has been showing me in the short-run of this particular session.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Super read.. well played.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM

folding should never cross your mind in this spot. if villain makes a near pot size bet, u might have to take a bit of time. but id probably still call, unless he's incapable of making moves. folding to his 40 dollar bet on the river into a 210 pot may win the worst play of the year award on this forum. NEVER EVER FOLD here. try playing some lower stakes next time b/c u really don't seem like you're comfortable at the limit ur playing and u don't seem to have a concept of pot odds. villain's bet isn't really a "value bet" since it's so tiny. call, lose, and just laugh at him for not betting more.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:07 PM

Great fold. I play at prima, sign up today!

Meh, dick comment by me, I guess a read is a read but for 40 I look up every time.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the fold. I do question if it was weak, but I was really confident in my read. Like I said, I was more than 80% sure I was beat. This guy didn't make moves at all and his check/call signalled a lot more strength to me than a check/raise would have. The question is how confident do you have to be in your read before you don't pay off a value bet? Also, my read was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
jesus christ, you posted a hand, got some responses, this is a VERY standard hand(and riv payoff) then you go on to say your read was such you're right. honestly, posts like these... ysscky
Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero goes into the tank. I'm almost certain villian has a 4 in his hand. The bet smelled like a value bet. I asked the villian a question I hate "If I fold will you show me?" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Villian says yes. I went back into the tank and given my read and the villian's pre-flop looseness I folded. He showed me 4-5 offsuit. I was flabbergasted to see that he called a 4xBB raise out of position with 4-5o and his answer was 'Well, its my favorite hand' [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

I cashed out and went home to keep from tilting away my last $270. That's poker.

I still question if my folding to a bet that was about 20% ot the pot was weak, but I was more than 80% sure I was beat. Feel free to comment on the fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This shouldn't put you on tilt. You should practically never fold TP getting 6-1 in a small pot.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: A-Q off; Live 2/5 NL

Call and reload. And this hand is small stakes.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: A-Q off; Live 2/5 NL

Like everyone said. Folding here is terrible. I played a similar hand the other day except it involved 2 other players and myself (in position). Same line on the flop and turn, but when villain put out a weak bet the river, LP called and so did I and I picked off villain's 10 high bluff and LP mucked QJs.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM

I don't think you can fold here...

I asked the villian a question I hate "If I fold will you show me?" Villian says yes.

Almost everyone I've ever run across that's answered this question "yes" or just tells someone he'll show if the guy folds has a very strong hand. The problem is he could easily have the same hand you have, or KQ. If he'd bet say 50% of the pot or more, and did the same thing, then I think you can get off the hand.

But his bet was too small, and your hand is solid. You have MUBS folding that hand, I don't care if you were "right" to do so. That's viewing your decisions in hindsight and it's a terrible way to justify your play. Two thirds of the time you fold a flush draw on the flop you'll be right in saying "it never hit so it was a good fold". But you're costing yourself money when you do it.

- C -