Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Way ahead or way behind?

heh, i was just skimming this thread and forgot how old it was, oh well i still hope my post gets read, cause i'm prety sure it's right. And if not, i definetely want to hear about it.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, good idea, bad execution (only on the river)

you must bet that river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-01-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With no draws on the flop I decided I would get more value from the hand if I was ahead by allowing him to bluff at me, and save bets if I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point, and I think a lot about spots like this and wonder if they have a big effect on swinging the pendulum between good and great player.

The major long term problem with that line is letting him save bets when he's behind and you paying off the full amount when you're behind. C/R'ing the flop makes up a 1/2 a bet and a turn c/r leaves you open for a nasty 3 bet.

I think with all things equal and the range of hands you'd be 3 bet with from different players, a flop c/r and turn lead, even when raised and you call down, is the most profitable long term line with AQ here. I may be wrong though.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Hence in a game of uncertain information you have to accept that you don't know what their hand is, it's costly and uncertain to find out, so you need to take the most plus EV line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off for a couple of days, so I couldn't respond. Gosh, we deal with uncertain information on every hand, and more often than not, we get a pretty close approximation of the hands we're up against, what the other player is thinking and what they will do.

This is likely my personality coming through, rather than objecting to the line that was chosen. I really like the line (minus not betting the river) if one thinks they are ahead and betting/raising will make the opponent fold. We don't have to pay for information on every hand, to get a decent "feel" of what our opponent may hold. I think this was the case on this hand.

I just like playing with more certainty in my mind. I will change my mind based on new information, and I always leave room for error. But, I like to choose.

Cheers
Magi