Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Help Stop the Bleeding...

This hand during a 125BB downswing at $2/$4. Did I overplay AK?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 08-02-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Help Stop the Bleeding...

The flop bet itself is not so bad, but your flop 3-bet is terrible. Your river 3-bet is just plain bad.

Rob
Old 08-02-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I overplay AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this hand should be made into a poster and put in subway trains in order to warn young children about the dangers of overplaying AK.

[ QUOTE ]
This hand during a 125 BB downswing at $2/$4.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might make an interesting tag-line.

Seriously, though:

1. What is possibly going through your mind with the flop three-bet?

2. How often do you think your one-pair outs are actually good once you miss on the turn? You are getting 10.5-1 on 6 very tenuous outs. Considering your outs are probably dead at least half the time, I think a turn fold is in order.

3. Villain capped the flopped and then raised the river after your K hit. How often do you think one pair wins here?

You, my friend, are the poster child for overplaying AK.

Flop lead is fine. Call the flop raise. Check-fold the turn unimproved.

(Did villain show 10 10???)
Old 08-02-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand during a 125BB downswing at $2/$4. Did I overplay AK?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Slick only hits the flop approximately 1/3 of the time. Other times it either picks up a draw or hits nothing at all. You hit nothing, and you 3-bet a guy who had shown preflop aggression. Why? You don't even have a pair.

I easily see JJ or TT in CO's hand. Typical Party 2/4 play with JJ or TT is to not cap/reraise and then go wild on the flop if no overcards hit. You are up against JJ or TT about 75% of the time here.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 AM

I doubt he's up against JJ all that often once villain raises the river. Up until that point, though, I think your read is pretty good.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he's up against JJ all that often once villain raises the river. Up until that point, though, I think your read is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the river raise indicates TT is highly likely, and JJ unlikely. The flop bet/call indicates a middle pair, though. Party 2/4 players in general tend to badly underplay hands like JJ and even QQ.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM

I agree with most. The hand was at the end of a long frustrating session. I normally dont play this reckless, just trying to get out of a funk that in the end is getting prolonged by this type of play.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop bet itself is not so bad, but your flop 3-bet is terrible. Your river 3-bet is just plain bad.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:24 PM

this is just chip spewing.

On the flop, lead is fine, but when he raises you, what do you think you're ahead of in order to 3-bet? If you're against an uber TAG who you think is capable or raising w/ a worse hand on this flop than AK, you could try a 3 bet with the intention of folding to a raise, but even that puts you in bad position. To me, this is textbook bet flop, call raise, fold turn unimproved.

And the river 3 bet is very, very, very thin.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Call the raise on the flop; ck-fold the turn if unimproved.
The sequence on the river was awful with a hand that doesn't figure to be best.
What were you gonna do if he capped?
bc