Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: TT preflop fold

i would fold the TT sometimes here... but based on your reads... I am cappin
Old 04-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Default How low til you pitch?

Assume same scenario, now I have 99. 88? 77? At what point are you mucking?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: How low til you pitch?

TT - I cap as a standard play unless I have a read that tells me otherwise.
99 - borderline and depends on how the 3-bettor plays preflop
88 - muck as standard play
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

folding this on the button is kinda crazy...

u dont HAVE to cap, but it will make it easier to play for sure.

why would it make it easier to play if he would of capped it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Capping on the button will more often than not cause those in front of you to check, making your decision easier on the flop.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Re: How low til you pitch?

I folded this today at 10/20. A decent guy raised and a not extremly aggressive 3bet. What am I to do with this out of position against overapir or overcards? Agree its marginal and if I didnt have respect for the raisers I would easily have called but everone says cap TT. I dont know about that.

You will normally have overcards on flop and against decent players its pretty hard to know where u are since they will 1) slowplay 2) give u credit for a good hand and prefer calling if they dont know if they are ahead (like KQ on a K43 board - against a preflopcapper its often best to call it down if u got position... and here I am betting TT)
Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM

Questions like this are very hard to categorically answer without reads. As somebody who has recently moved to 6-max from full games, you need to understand that reads are MUCH more important shorthanded. I'm not certain why this is the case, but I have found this to be unquestionably the case.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reads are MUCH more important shorthanded. I'm not certain why this is the case, but I have found this to be unquestionably the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are much more important shorthanded because the bluffs are coming at you at appoximately the correct rate in the 6 max games. Which is not to say that most players bluff at the correct frequency, but when the population is taken as a whole, the raises coming at you are bluffs at close to the "right" (game-theory-wise) rate. So it's very important (more so than in 3/6 full for instance) to know who bluffs too much and who bluffs too little.

I think that's why a lot of players are baffled as to why they lose against terrible players when first moving up to 5/10 6-max on Party. Sklansky in TOP mentions how tight players who rarely bluff can be easier to beat than loose players who bluff at approximately the right frequency. This is a key concept in the Party 6-max games.

ZZZ
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Thank you. This crystallizes exactly why my reads have become much more important to me than in full game play.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reads are MUCH more important shorthanded. I'm not certain why this is the case, but I have found this to be unquestionably the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads are much more important shorthanded because the bluffs are coming at you at appoximately the correct rate in the 6 max games. Which is not to say that most players bluff at the correct frequency, but when the population is taken as a whole, the raises coming at you are bluffs at close to the "right" (game-theory-wise) rate. So it's very important (more so than in 3/6 full for instance) to know who bluffs too much and who bluffs too little.

I think that's why a lot of players are baffled as to why they lose against terrible players when first moving up to 5/10 6-max on Party. Sklansky in TOP mentions how tight players who rarely bluff can be easier to beat than loose players who bluff at approximately the right frequency. This is a key concept in the Party 6-max games.

ZZZ

[/ QUOTE ]

I play on UB where keeping stats is a real PITA. I keep notes as well as I can. By the time I leave a table, I like to have at least *something* on each player. But, damn, the 6-max players sure jump around a lot. Tell me, vs. an unknown are there any assumptions you make based on the overall makeup of the 5/10 6-max game? In other words, should I assume a looser and more aggro player than normal until I form a more reasonable read?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, should I assume a looser and more aggro player than normal until I form a more reasonable read?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that depends on the overall makeup of the site and the limit. Party 5/10 short tends to be more passive than Pary 10/20 short, so I'd be more willing to believe a turn raise from a unknown 5/10 player than an unknown 10/20 player. (I don't have that much experience in 10/20 short though)

And, of course, I'm more likely to call down if I have some other way to win than just catching a bluff. I'm more likely to pay off a turn raise and a river bet with middle pair and a gutshot than I am with just middle pair.

ZZZ