Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 07:49 PM

Default RavenusRhino 5/10sh post hands w/me (and hear me ramble)

alright, so now that i'm changing my screename, i want you to please please please post any/all the hands you have against me where i've been a huge donk. every leak big or small post here. embarass me. tell me where i've gone wrong. if i've ever played a hand great* agaisnt you, post that too. i've played 40k break even hands at 5/10sh after every 10k hands i've been like "o this is what i'm doing wrong- make an adjustment and end up around where i've started (break even). i feel like for a lot of those hands i've been on a pretty bad downswing, but considering these are the only hands i have, i can only look at the bottom line to see where i'm at.

a list of the things that i've done wrong.

if the hands are in june- pre june 15th, i played like an idiot and bet wayyy too many things down. between june 15th and july 3rd i was wayy too laggy postflop and the entire time i've been gaybetting like an idiot.

i guess right now, after this humbling month and a half, i need some inspiration, some goals something to get me going emotionally/ mentally to start playing better poker. i'm gonna drop down to 2 tables for a while. i'm gonna focus on playing perfect poker because lord knows i haven't been over the past 40k hands. if anyone wants to exchange screenames, pm me- i'll play tables with you and we can compare hands we play against each other etc.

i need to get back to playing less tables and focus not on making the $$$ but doing what got me to poker in the first place - playing the game.

stealthcow-
Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: RavenusRhino 5/10sh post hands w/me (and hear me ramble)

Why not drop down to 3/6 6max and mop up those donkeys for a while? I'm contemplating doing that and I've only had a 10k breakeven stretch.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:06 PM

Funny.

I consider you and one other player (juliekk) to be the hardest players I face at 5/10. You are one of the few I make a point to just flat-out avoid. I didn't have any doubt you were a 2+2er, either.

I have had pretty decent success so far at 5/10 so far. But not against you.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Sorry 'bout the bad stretch Ravenus. Sounds like you are betting too many hands. I only played a handful of hands with you, but I saw this one and I really don't like it.
You are UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop:
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

River: (6.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

I hate the river bet. What could somebody call you with that you beat given the board? Check it and call. When you are ahead, you could gain an extra bet out of these types of hands by inducing a bluff. By betting out, you are leaving yourself open for a raise by an A, a flush, and even an occasional bluff which is disastrous here.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Funny, I was avoiding both of them too
Old 07-21-2005, 12:31 AM

For a while I thought you were following me around. But you assured me otherwise. You always seemed really solid, and I tried not to get involved too much with you, although I didn't actually avoid you, as your table selection was usually pretty good, other than you being at them.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:48 AM

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB :#A500AF(RavenusRhino)/ 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB :#A500AF(RavenusRhino)/ calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, RavenusRhino checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, RavenusRhino calls, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">RavenusRhino bets</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Kd (one pair, jacks).
RavenusRhino has Ac 9d (two pair, jacks and nines).
Outcome: RavenusRhino wins 11 BB. </font>
Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 AM

First the positives:
- You have no fear, are entirely capable of attacking on the big bet streets.
- You have an excellent perception of each player's momentum, which leads me to believe you're very observant.

Some perhaps-not-so-positive hands:
- I played a few hands against you HU once, and you bluff-checkraised the river (9 BB) on a four flush, A high board after I capped preflop.
- You 3-bet my UTG raise from UTG+1 with A3s.
- You 3-bet my UTG raise from the SB with KQo.

These hands make me think two things.

(1) You need to re-evaluate the respect you're (not [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) giving preflop raisers. Even straightforward players, who you probably think you have good control over postflop, will quickly start playing back once you've shown down mediocre values after 3-betting. I'm speaking from experience here, as I've bluffed you out of several pots I can think of that I would have folded against an average opponent.

(2) You're giving yourself too much bluff equity too many spots. Just look at the first hand I mentioned and ask yourself whether my hand range is possibly folding 18% of the time there after I bet the river. No way.

But when all is said and done, you're not fun to play against and I don't like being out of position against you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 01:31 AM

My comments on the hand:

I'm raising from the SB. Even 4-handed, my range here isn't such that I think 3-betting with A9o is particularly bright, especially with Button (who I had earmarked as a calling station, IIRC). That said, I think checking the flop is pretty bad on that board if you're 3-betting a tightish SB raiser. What kind of flop were you hoping for?

Rob
Old 07-21-2005, 02:30 AM

this is a really good hand that hightlights something i am doing wrong quite often. and thats not looking at the board texture and seeing where that changes where/ when i should follow trhough valuebetting this river.

knowing which boards to bet the river with in short handed is soo much more of a skill needed then at full handed, and i think my next post will be a quiz of different boards and how to play them through

stealthcow-