Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: On Rudeness

[ QUOTE ]

If you don't like the stupid topic, stay away from the stupid thread. Giving people the answer to what they're asking is just as easy as telling them this has already been asked fifteen times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of course only encourages them to not search for the answer or even look if there is a topic on the first page of the forum that asks the same questions. This leads to the forum being cluttered in threads that aren't needed, which makes it a worse forum.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:47 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you don't like the stupid topic, stay away from the stupid thread. Giving people the answer to what they're asking is just as easy as telling them this has already been asked fifteen times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of course only encourages them to not search for the answer or even look if there is a topic on the first page of the forum that asks the same questions. This leads to the forum being cluttered in threads that aren't needed, which makes it a worse forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this: First time someone does it, give them the answer, but gently point out that it could have been found via search and explain how to do it (or point out the thread on the same topic that was on the first page, if that was the case). Next time, jump on them with both feet and spit on them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bear in mind that the search function isn't exactly intuitive; sure, it's fine if you're used to it, but newbies could easily find it a bit daunting. Everybody's a green newbie at some point in their lives; it's not that hard to give them a break until they've had a chance to learn the ropes.

-Mike
Old 06-27-2005, 10:13 PM

Cold-hearted flaming serves as a good warning for other newbies to lurk before they post. I lurked for several months before I made post #1. You learn a lot about posting ettiquette.

You could make the argument that if you flame someone too hard, they may never post again. Well, if they are posting the flame-worthy crap that they usually do, who wants them around anyway?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:23 PM

nh Mike

When I first came to this site, I had never been on an internet forum in my life, so the many extremely rude responses I received were really annoying. I think many people come to this forum, know a bit about poker; however, maybe they don't use the term "Hero, Villian" and UTG+2, but that doesn't mean they can't play cards. There is a lot of lingo about these forums. My dad has played cards in Vegas and cardrooms his entire life and has not heard of half of the terms I've learned in this forum.

Just be nice...it's pretty easy if you try.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:47 PM

STFU n00b

No seriously. I think a certain ammount of abrasiveness and honesty is a good thing. I do think some people cross a line though, and that line is usually in the form of ad hominem attacks. But when someone asks "was I wrong to call an all in bet with my AA?" they deserve a little rhetorical smacking around.

Newer guys, esp those who ask really dumb questions or make stupid comments, should be prepared for ribbing. If they can last it out, then they will likely stick around and contribute to the forum.

I like the tough love culture of 2p2. People should also try to be clever (and funny) in the process. How about a rule: if you want to make an insult or dispence tough love, them make it clever and funny. If you cant to do that don't bother responding.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 PM

I never felt uninvited when I first came here. I lurked, I found the link to the hand converter, and I posted in the right forum.

I don't see why anyone else would have trouble doing the same.