Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Yahoo Music Unlimited (perhaps semi-OT)

[ QUOTE ]
for the commercial free radio stations that you get w/this package - is this the same as Yahoo's Launchcast Plus (unlimited song skips, higher quality music than normal Launchcast, etc), which is normally $2.99/month?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes (I think), I'm wasn't familiar with launchcast before I signed up, but I've never heard a commercial and you can skip as much as you like (so it certainly sounds like it).

They also have a custom radio station where you rate the songs as you go (you can rate by song, artist, and/or album) and it tailors the songs played to your individual tastes. It was really cool to see it "evolve" (for lack of a better word) for maybe the first 20-30 songs I was getting a lot of crap (so I'd just rate it poorly and then skip ahead) after maybe a half hour or so it's playing close to 100% songs that I enjoy (and the bonus - at least for me - is that alot of the music is from new artists I'm unfamiliar with or "old stuff" that I haven't thought about in a long time).

J
Old 06-16-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Not affiliated, blah, blah, blah...just looking to pass along what I consider a good deal)

http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Holy crap this is cool. I signed up last night and have been going on musical overload ever since. Basically the deal is for $60 a year you get unlimited access to their entire catalog (you can stream the music, download the tracks to your computer for offline playback, transfer to a compatible portable device, etc).

The program is advertised as still being in beta, but from what I've seen that's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. The software is a little strange at first (sort of like what would happen if iTunes mated with a web browser), but once you get the hang of it things fall together nicely.

The musical catalog is pretty diverse. I've found pretty much everything I've been looking for so far (and I have some semi-obscure tastes), although occasionally there are limited offerings for a particular artist. One of the cool things I've started using is the "Create a playlist of similar artists" button (listed on each artist's page). It's a great way for me to generate a quick playlist to listen to while I'm playing poker and it's helping me to discover some new artists already.

Anyways, check it out.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

do they have most songs?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do they have most songs?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have most everything other than the Beatles...with over 1 million songs, they'll have most of the stuff you would ever want.

Acme
Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 PM

Are these files .mp3s?

Or is like Napster?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Default I want to know....

Is there a program where for the regular monthly fee you can transfer music to a portable device (IE my Dell DJ) without paying by the song? Because that's what I thought I was getting with Musicmatch ON Demand. Although I will admit that even without that capability it's a great service for the price.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 PM

$60 a year and unlimited music is a good deal. I signed up on day 2 of this deal, and filled my 5GB Nomad Micro that night.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:14 PM

So can I put songs on my portable device without paying an additional per song fee on top of the $60 annual??
Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So can I put songs on my portable device without paying an additional per song fee on top of the $60 annual??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as long as it's a subscription compatible device
Old 06-16-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are these files .mp3s?

Or is like Napster?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're a special form of windows media (they sound better than typical mp3's...at least IMO).

J
Old 06-17-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: I want to know....

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a program where for the regular monthly fee you can transfer music to a portable device (IE my Dell DJ) without paying by the song? Because that's what I thought I was getting with Musicmatch ON Demand. Although I will admit that even without that capability it's a great service for the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yahoo, Napster, and Rhapsody all offer this service. You pay a monthly or annual fee for access to the entire database...which can be placed on your portable device and as long as you maintain your subscription to the service, you can listen to the music on your device.

I believe all 3 of these services are compatible with your Dell DJ...and Yahoo owns MusicMatch (as mentioned previously in this thread), so you might be able to transfer your service to get exactly what you want.

Acme