Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 02:59 PM

Default QTo on Button (2/4 PS)

I'm still quite new at this limit, definitely not used to the passive Pokerstars game yet. Just moved up from 1/2 6-max at Party. This hand is mostly just a question of how to extract the maximum, as I'm pretty sure my line did not do it.

No real reads are important. The preflop raiser is 19/10/1.4 after 40 hands.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 04-25-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: QTo on Button (2/4 PS)

Wow, that turn check makes me want to cry. I am going to cry a bit in fact. I'm sure people will tell you to raise the flop, but I don't mind waiting until the turn. Too bad the pfr didn't bet the turn.

You really need to bet the turn.

Krishan
Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM

your turn decision is unnterly horrid. Youve got 3 people in the hand, and you are checking thu the 2nd nut?? Awful. BET!!!

given the hand, your river raise is prolly the wrong play to. Now you shut out overcalls, and are hoping youve got a guy who didnt like his hand enough to bet a turn, who will call your raise.

I play this [censored] straight forward and raise the flop.

But for gods sake, NEVER check through a turn like this again.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM

I think your turn check is by far the largest mistake of the hand. Why did you not bet the turn? I probably would have just raised the flop in the first place though, you've got the chance to scoop the rest of them for another SB each. I'm not sure about your river raise either - maybe you want to try for overcalls?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (7 BB) Q (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]

I just threw up...

___1___
Old 04-25-2005, 03:12 PM

I swear the turn check seemed like a good idea at the time. I was hoping it would make the PFR think everyone had nothing, so he would bet again on the river, which I could raise, and trap everyone for a big bet.

Obviously the plan sounds horrible to me now, in hindsight.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about your river raise either - maybe you want to try for overcalls?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't actually like going for overcalls here. If people had been calling single bets all the way maybe but with the passivity shown so far, I think I like the river raise as the better will usually call 1. I could be off though.

Krishan
Old 04-25-2005, 03:15 PM

Preflop: perfect.

Flop: I prefer a raise, but there are arguments both ways. If you expect SB to slow down to your raise, and you expect him to bet the turn, then waiting until the turn to raise is fine.

Turn: This is monstrous error, all sorts of hands will call your bet. I'd estimate this is roughly a 1.5BB error. That's like limping with your next 5 72o hands. At least.

ZZZ
Old 04-25-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about your river raise either - maybe you want to try for overcalls?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't actually like going for overcalls here. If people had been calling single bets all the way maybe but with the passivity shown so far, I think I like the river raise as the better will usually call 1. I could be off though.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

In the long run, I think its marginally more likely you get at least 1 overcall, than the original bettor calling your raise.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I I was hoping it would make the PFR think everyone had nothing, so he would bet again on the river, which I could raise, and trap everyone for a big bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the PFR gives up and checks the turn, youve got to assume no one has a real hand either, as they now dont bet. So assuming the PFR will then bet the river AND everyone will call, AND (this is the important part) call your raise is doing way to much assuming.