Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Default some missed overcards

I know most people aren't big fans of multi-hand post but there are only 3 of them, they are pretty short and have a common theme.

They are also situations that occur often and I believe people tend struggle with them.

All hands are on Party 3/6 6max. Assume no reads unless some are noted:

Hand 1 (3 handed):
The BB plays a lot of hands but has not seemed overly aggressive in the short time we've played together.

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero raises from the UTG/BT, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Check, bet, call.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Check, bet, BB raises, Hero folds getting 6-1 immediate pot odds.

Bad fold only 3 handed?

Hand 2 ( handed):
No reads.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.
UTG folds, BT raises, Hero (SB) 3-bets, BB folds, BT calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Bet, call.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Bet, call.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Check, check.

Who's calling a river bet? Anyone bet the river? Anyone check the turn?

Hand 3 (5 handed):
No reads.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG limps, MP limps, Hero raises from the BT, blinds fold, limpers call.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, Hero folds.

Super weak? Who's following through on the turn? Who's at least calling the river bet after checking the turn?

All comments welcome, thanks...

Luke
Old 12-01-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: some missed overcards

Hand 1: Close, but I fold since you have no other draws and your outs are not all clean.

Hand 2: Looks fine. Fold the river if he bets. Someone who calls the flop and turn on this board surely has atleast A high, and you are only spliting with Ax anyways.

Hand 3: Betting the turn or checking/calling the river are both decent options. I rather bet the turn though to try get a pair to fold, and take a free showdown.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 PM

Hand 1)

I think this is a pretty good line. You have outs but I think that you are behind very often here and are drawing dead a good % of the time. If you are only behind to a J or 5 (which is doubtfull-would a loose player be able to make a clever c/r holding only a 5 here?) you can't always count on making up a bet on the river if you catch you're K or (especially) A. I will hold out that you may be ahead a small fraction of the time but I wouldn't say that you have a clear 6 outs (the guy could have you reverse dominated now).

Hand 2)
I like all streets here and I am calling a river bet. I think villain will bluff or bet an A often enough for you to be ahead. It's tough to call though because you're only splitting if he's got an A and he's always betting a pp. There are 6.5 BB in there now and you're only getting 3.25 of those when you split but you get 6.5 when he bluffs. I was going to put numbers on this and compare EVs but I think without reads this would be too hard to do. I think that the pot is large enough here to call is all. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hand 3)
I follow through on the turn. Of course a K or Q will always call you but you may get a 7 or 3 to fold and other hands (like 98s) may fold also. Without a hand many weak players will fold here if they have nothing but some may not. I think you're a winner against a weak hand here either way. Let's say the guy's got the (98's) or even (T9s) He's got 6 or ten outs respectively. If he folds you win the pot right there but if he calls he's only getting 5.1 to one so he's making a mistake. Also, if you're behind you may get a free showdown.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Hand 1- Getting only 6 to 1, I fold.

Hand 2- I might bet the river, just so we don't incur a bluff we don't call for fear of a chop. I'd rather get him to fold/ call to chop.

Hand 3- I can't see myself calling the river here. I'm ok with a turn bet.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Results and comments

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

My general feeling about the first hand is that until I know that this guy likes to bluff me (or others) off of pots, there's little reason to call that turn CR (and river as I feel I would be committing to doing).

On hand 2, my opponent showed A2o and we ended up splitting.

I think I'm folding to a river bet on this hand given that my opponent did raise preflop and call down to this point, making it pretty likely I'm against a pocket pair (I lose), queen/nine (I lose), ace (we split) or some other nonsense like Kx (I win).

Hand 3, I think I should have bet the turn and taken the free showdown. There are a lot of hands that might fold that turn that shouldn't and if not, I might be head or at least have outs. A checkraise would suck but I don't think it's all that likely unless my ace outs are not good.

Thanks again,

Luke