Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: The writing process

Here is some decent advice from Stephen King.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:17 PM

"It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly a shot rang out."
Old 06-25-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any hints as to what your story's about?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is in the tradition of Lord of the Rings with a similar dungeons and dragons/fantasy setting. Although I see multiple story arcs of characters unaware of the actions of others yet all connected by the rise of a great and evil power. The story shifts from one place to another similar to the winds of war for those familar with it.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should seriously consider joining a writing workshop. They're fantastic for getting good feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by good feedback you mean a bunch of spineless pandering from other girls writing poems about their rainbow soul flower spirits.

peewee
Old 06-25-2005, 01:48 AM

I've actually thought about working on something similar. I have some of the ideas written down, a lot more worked out in my head, but to be honest I just haven't really had the drive to start it yet, so I'm not sure if I will or not.

What advice I would give you is have your characters set up, have your major events and your minor events, and most importantly decide what your theme is going to be. What are you trying to get across.

Know everything there is to know about your characters. If someone were to ask you what there favorite color is, what their goals in life are, etc. you should be able to answer this. That's the only way you'll be able to create a complete character and then be able to transfer the depth of that person into written word.

The same type of thing goes for settings and every other little detail. These things need to be able to interconnect to create a fabric of the world that you are transposing your reader into.

p.s. If you need someone to read over anything for you and offer some advice I'd be happy to. Feel free to PM me. However, I will be honest that my strengths in writing lie more in the creative side, making sure things flow well, etc. than the hardcore nitpicky grammar.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:43 AM

a little bit more.

Elves and Humans live in adjacent kingdoms, the elves in a great and ancient forest and the humans in the surrounding developed land. over the years the human population as grown as its settlements have started to encroach into the elven forest. This does not sit well with the elves and the tensions between the two races have started to mount threatening 300 years of peace.

To make matters worse recently human outskirt settlements have recently come under terrrorist like attacks during the night. Evidence collected such as arrow heads/weapon marks. as well as the method and tatics of the attacks suggests that they were conducted by elves. The human settlers are demanding justice and revenge. The Elven commmunities have denied any knowledge of the attacks and leaders on both sides want to avoid a bloody and costly war. Growing numbers on both sides do not share the opinions of their leadership.

In a hope of starving off a possible war and to find out the nature of the dark raids the Elven King has decided to send out a investigative team of his own. Knowing that anyone who served under the king in would be viewed with contempt and suspicision (and fearing that he may not be able to trust everyone with his kingdom) the king instead has turned to the wi-gyin, an ancient order of Elven monks, known for their unbiased pursuit of truth, wisdom and their penchant for going against the established Elvin order.

{
Wi-gyin are a very secretive order or monks established many of thousands of years ago. They strive to obtain perfection in body of mind and seek a oneness with nature. To the end they refuse to use any type of magic either casting or item. They see magic as unnatural and a corruptive force which the weak a power driven rely on. This view eventually led them to remove themselves from elven society.

[for the purposes of my world elven society will be a blend of the tolkein elves and our traditional far eastern societies of ancient china and japan. Elvin warriors will be very similar to samurai and the society will very traditional in nature with a strict code of honor and hierarchy. think the village in the last samurai]

The wu-gyin are masters at unarmed combat. they see their body as a weapon which never dulls or breaks, can never be dropped and can never be lost. Relying on the use of a weapon is a weakness in their eyes which can be exploited by the enemy, the wu-gyin can never be disarmed. The wu-gyin will carry and use natural weapons such as the staff or sling when available.

Through thousands of years of study (typicel elvin life expectancy is ~700 years) the wu-gyin have learned the secrets of unlocking the full power and potential of the mind. through careful practice and discipline they have use of psionic powers many of which are extremely powerful and deadly.
}

Two warriors have been selected for this mission. One an experienced senior shar and her junior Tau-maux who is one his first mission away from the monastary.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:28 AM

What? That's my idea. You'll be hearing from my lawyers!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:11 AM

Get drunk first. Then start writing.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:10 PM

You're dealing with a lot of history here. It seems like you have a good idea of that history, so write it all down. It'll be a huge help in keeping continuity.

I hope you'll update on your progress.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 AM

I took a class with Chuck Palahniuk (we still keep in contact) and have taken classes with the guy that taught him Tom Spanbauer. If u have direct questions shoot me and email...last year I also optioned a script I wrote awhile ago.

Anyway have to post this: