Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Horrid downswing...maintianing confidence?

[ QUOTE ]
This worst part is this mind-numbing, rage inducing, TILT, that if anything is WORSE when I'm not playing right now. I'm pissed at myself for losing (because some/most of it was my fault), I'm pissed at other people for being lucky idiots, I'm pissed at stars for having a rigged shuffle (joking). I'm just angry [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at your hands the other day, just randomly and the couple I saw were pretty shittily played. In the 5 or so I looked at you were pushing way to hard.

Krishan
Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 PM

Were you playing the 5/10 on Stars or Party?

As you know, I came to the 5/10 on Party directly from the 2/4 on Stars. They are WAY different games.

The 2/4 Stars guys fold way too much. You can just run over a table by raising the correct amount preflop and betting every flop. The Party guys don't fold enough... in fact they can pull some tricky crap if you're not careful.

Look for spots to induce bluffs.... don't get caught up in the bad beats... *do* continue to value bet the river.

You were killing the Stars 2/4 back when I was there, and I know you're a winning player. It's not really the same, but if you want to get used to the "callingness" of the 5/10 you should play some 1/2 on Party.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This worst part is this mind-numbing, rage inducing, TILT, that if anything is WORSE when I'm not playing right now. I'm pissed at myself for losing (because some/most of it was my fault), I'm pissed at other people for being lucky idiots, I'm pissed at stars for having a rigged shuffle (joking). I'm just angry [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely seemed to be tilting pretty hard yesterday. I took a pot or two from you, and I just remember you going off on how the whole table were morons, especially me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hopefully things turn better for you soon--I'm at 2/4 for the same reason you are, so I know how it feels.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 AM

Just coming back from -330 and I never even noticed how bad it was until 270, I think i've been conditioned by strip's posts.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else had this fun little experience

[/ QUOTE ]

The only people who haven't experienced this to some degree are people who don't play poker.

You need to get encouragement from people who know you play well. This a mental battle, but it's part of the whole poker deal. Good luck. Things will turn around.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but that leads back to the importance of self-diagnosis. the numbers lie, a lot. you have to be honest with yourself and rate your play against your opponents, because you can play great and lose or play awful and win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As you know, I came to the 5/10 on Party directly from the 2/4 on Stars. They are WAY different games.

The 2/4 Stars guys fold way too much. You can just run over a table by raising the correct amount preflop and betting every flop. The Party guys don't fold enough... in fact they can pull some tricky crap if you're not careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made the same transition from Stars 5/10, and had the same problems. I brought my winning 32/22 Stars game to Party (much better table selection, rakeback, etc.) and ran streaky with much less success. The above is great advice. I'm still adjusting my aggression for Party games and have discovered that many of my past 'routine' (LAG) plays don't work nearly enough to be profitable at 5/10. Point is, tilt or not, you may be playing off poor assumptions.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'M NEVER GOING TO BE A WINNING PLAYER AGAIN.

[/ QUOTE ]

TAKE A WEEK OFF.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I took a pot or two from you, and I just remember you going off on how the whole table were morons, especially me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true then he probably is a long term loser.

/mc
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have carefully read this post and i'm uncertain as to its whiny content - i'm tempted to accept it as a legitimate query rather than an insufficent losing streak nancy post

[/ QUOTE ]

A very good point. My original post was probably made a little too soon after I stopped playing when I was feeling a little raw. I apologize for the vent (at least it wasn't accompanied by any "Look at what this idiot did to me" hands [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]

ultimately though losing 200BB's is so dull i cant do it

if you had some decent resolve about what you were doing losing 200BB's would be closer to pleasure than pain - how do you expect to survive in a game where you know you will swing 300BB's from time to time if you decide your a loser when you lose 200BB's ? - losers and people who think they are losers are the same thing

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

Thisis very good advice, thanks. I guess a more specific orginal question would be what one does to restore or maintain confidence once it has been shaken. Having looked back on my play from the last few days, some of it has been truly awful, as has my mental state, so now doubt has crept in. The best I can do is resolve to just not play for a while (thanks to the 15 or so who responded thusly).

Thanks for the responses,
Contritely,
Pooh