Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Default HUGE downswing

Hi, I started about a year ago with a 115$ deposit, lost it in about 2 months. Decided to deposit another 115$, and built it up to 1015, which was my peak. Ever since I got there, it's been up and down and mostly down..which I'm at about 150$ now. Seems like too much money to call variance, and I don't THINK I've really changed my play all that much. It feels pretty disgusting to have lost all that though..any suggestions on what to do(besides a flame on quit poker etc.) It just seems like nothing I do can get me back on top again
Old 10-26-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: HUGE downswing

Sounds like you're a losing player who happened to hit one good winning streak.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Or maybe playing a limit that exceeded his bankroll.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:19 PM

you didn't mention anything about limits, # of hands, etc. these are crucial to giving you any kind of advice or opinions, even just for you evaluating for yourself. honestly, if you really made this post without even considering including this information (and even worse, you don't know/have this data), then you most likely don't understand variance - or poker.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I started about a year ago with a 115$ deposit, lost it in about 2 months. Decided to deposit another 115$, and built it up to 1015, which was my peak. Ever since I got there, it's been up and down and mostly down..which I'm at about 150$ now. Seems like too much money to call variance, and I don't THINK I've really changed my play all that much. It feels pretty disgusting to have lost all that though..any suggestions on what to do(besides a flame on quit poker etc.) It just seems like nothing I do can get me back on top again

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were Playing $.50/$1 thats a little steep to be variance. If you were playing $3/6 or $5/$10, it wasn't. What stakes do you play?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Maybe, but I was stagnant at 3-400 for about 2 weeks, then jumped jumped jumped, went down and up and down and up, I lost about 400$ yesterday in heads up(won 3 50's, lost a 50, lost a 100, lost a 200,+rake), combined with a 150$ loss of a "loose" call when I was at a 100$ game with 250, then pretty much steamed off the rest of my stack when I pushed AQs UTG, got called by AK(6 handed). steaming is a bitch....
Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 PM

I'm about -$11k for the last 2.5 months (shameless whining), and I am still a winning player. The fact that losing about 900$ "is too much to be variance" is completely ludicrous. Variance isn't in $ amounts, its in bet sizes.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:26 PM

50-100NL games,30$SnG's whichever I could find a good game(which I apparently am not good at) I play good cards, but mix it up with suited one holers and nonsuited 67, 54, etc. Poker tracker says I'm Loose aggressive-aggressive, and when I get a lot of money (say 2 1/2 buy ins) I pretty much give it away(although I always thought it was the cards, denial?).I played about 2 hours a day, give or take some... thanks for the feedback...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 PM

[censored] heads up poker. For 10-50$ its good, but higher than that with my bankroll (less than 1000) is what killed me. Absolutely killed me.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play good cards, but mix it up with suited one holers and nonsuited 67, 54, etc. Poker tracker says I'm Loose aggressive-aggressive

[/ QUOTE ] This might have killed you too. If you are a winning player, you could still experience a lot of variance when your vpip is 30+% AND you are aggressive.