Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 04:28 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Diablo banned

i'm not a fan of the 'suspension' idea at all. to me, either they listen to reason or they don't. if somebody can't chill after a pm, i think they're ready for a dirt nap. if they can, then a temporary ban just comes off to me as a "know your place" kind of action. but hey, i'm the one who started the unorthodox * system when i became a moderator in oot.

i can see how this is particularly incensing given how many people are friends of diablo personally, or at least enjoyed his posts (which probably means all of us). i'm a personal friend of his too. we all know he's a reasonable guy.

but i'm sure dynasty is going to be a reasonable guy here too. i think everybody agrees that his decision to suspend diablo was a mistake, and i'm sure he understands that, so there's no need to bash.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there's no need to bash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a fan of the 'suspension' idea at all. to me, either they listen to reason or they don't. if somebody can't chill after a pm, i think they're ready for a dirt nap.

[/ QUOTE ]

It works on some people. Out of the very few posters I have temp. banned, I can think of three who came back from the suspension as better posters. I can understand your perspective, though.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently some have gotten the impression that i was the one that locked the thread. i haven't taken any action on it, and i have no plans on doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's funny is I had 3 PM's waiting for me asking me why I locked it. I didn't even have a clue WTF they were talking about.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 AM

I don't think we should be banning Diablo ever for basically any reason. He is, IMO, the overall #1 poster on 2+2 for years.

He should get leeway times a hundred. In my view, this is a business, and the goal here isn't to apply every rule 100% equally to every member. This is about creating a popular and profitable site. And Diablo does that more than anyone else around here and gets nothing but entertainment in return.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think we should be banning Diablo ever for basically any reason. He is, IMO, the overall #1 poster on 2+2 for years.

He should get leeway times a hundred. In my view, this is a business, and the goal here isn't to apply every rule 100% equally to every member. This is about creating a popular and profitable site. And Diablo does that more than anyone else around here and gets nothing but entertainment in return.

[/ QUOTE ]

For that most part, I agree with Superman.

But as I've said in the past, specific and arbitrary rules shouldn't be used when dealing with almost anything that isn't spam related. Specific rules often remove the ability to make judgement calls.

However...

The temp. ban doesn't seem like a specific policy or rule that I have ever seen posted on these forums. That was just a judgement call made by Dynasty.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The temp. ban doesn't seem like a specific policy or rule that I have ever seen posted on these forums. That was just a judgement call made by Dynasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo is exactly the kind of person who has helped make this site so successful. He's been around for years.

He also behaves like an adult. There's no reason at all to "send him a message" by "suspending" him for any period of time. If he posts something you think absolutely must come down, then take it down and politely explain to him why it was removed.

There's a big difference between an 18 year old guy who can't control his behavior and barely posts anything useful and a 35 year old guy who is rational and mature and who has been giving to us for years.

If the "system" we have set up involves giving people like Diablo "time outs" then the system needs to change. Big time.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:14 AM

I'm not saying he made the right call. But the simplicity of it being nothing more than one person's mistake seems better than a mod being able to duck responsibility for an action because 'rule 78-f was violated.'

Still, that point is slightly OT. The point of this thread probably should be that many of us, including myself, believe the decision to temp. ban Diablo was wrong. One person's judgement is responsible for this action, so the situation is pretty simple. No system was responsible for this.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Diablo is exactly the kind of person who has helped make this site so successful. He's been around for years.

He also behaves like an adult. There's no reason at all to "send him a message" by "suspending" him for any period of time. If he posts something you think absolutely must come down, then take it down and politely explain to him why it was removed.

There's a big difference between an 18 year old guy who can't control his behavior and barely posts anything useful and a 35 year old guy who is rational and mature and who has been giving to us for years.

If the "system" we have set up involves giving people like Diablo "time outs" then the system needs to change. Big time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear, Ed.

As always: perfect strategy in a nutshell.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 AM

I think you could make a reasonable case that one of the primary focuses of OOT has been about people's lives outside of the forum. Thus just posting about someone's personal life should should not be reason to ban unless the intent is obviously mean spirited in nature.

I think there needs to be a judgement made about content and intent. Now no one would argue that a poster should be banned for posting something like I hear [censored] and wacki have become friends outside of 2+2 or something similar. Also things like so and so got really drunk and did x stupid thing has never been a problem.

On the other hand posting something like I hear "evan and bigsteve" are butt buddies would obviously be way out of line and deserving of a ban.

This is where intent comes in. El Diablo's post wasn't Jason and Mslif are [censored] or some other lewd question. It was simply stating that there was a rumor of them dating. This is where intent comes in. I think its clear El Diablo didnt have any malicious intent.

They could easily ignore said post without any harm or embarrassment coming to them or choose to respond. Or if it was a problem for some reason either could ask a mod to delete or lock the thread as was done in the other instance.

Also I have never nor will I ever believe that all posters should be treated equally. Instead I believe 2+2 should be moderated with a caste system that treats the quality posters better than it treats others. It just makes good sense to me.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:52 AM

Your post makes perfect sense to me.