Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Hockey

I went back about 7 pages and didn't find the old hockey thread so I'm just starting a new one.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of their teams and of the game in general so far.

The Bruins have gotten off to a pretty bad start, putting my dreams of another division win in jeopardy. We only last night collected our first win against a division opponent with Hannu Toivenen's fantastic game against Belfour and the Leafs. It looked to be a solid all-around effort by the Bruins, which is a rare occurence for them. So far, they are a team that plays very well for spurts but also finds themselves outplayed for whole periods at a time, and they have been easily outskated by quick teams like Montreal and Ottawa. Many of these problems are magnified by the fact that its early in the season, and that our losses are coming against the division opponents, but the fact is this is a team that is finding ways to lose hockey games that they are often in a good position to win.

Health hasn't really been great for the B's but that's no excuse, naturally. Right now we are still without #2 center Alex Zhamnov, and our goaltender Raycroft has just gone down w/ a bad hammy. Luckily Hannu Toivenen is a more-than-capable goaltender; I had the chance to watch him last year in a few games for Providence, he's very impressive. I was also impressed last year with Brad Boyes in Providence, and his skill is translating nicely to the NHL. I watched a lot of Kevin Dallman last year, and I'm actually surprised by how well he's doing, not that he was bad in Prov, he just didn't stand out. I actually expected Jurcina to break through before Dallman or Alberts, but both of those players have been very good.

In general, the game has been enjoyable. There is definitely more of an emphasis on transition this year, which makes games more fast-paced and fun to watch. The constant calls for obstruction can slow the game down somewhat, but it appears to be a good thing so far in a lot of ways, allowing the fast players to skate unimpeded. Hopefully the players can get used to the style they have to play and the calls will slow down.

I think that if the defense isn't allowed to clear opposing forwards out of the crease, opposing forwards shouldn't be allowed in the crease without the puck. I see too much crowding of goaltenders and nothing the defense can do about it. The goalie's job is of course altogether harder this year.

I still hate the shootout. Dumbest idea I ever heard, dumbest thing I've ever seen.

How bout the other four hockey fans on here, what do you guys think?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Hockey

Isles fan here. Just as the past couple years, some nights they look great and some they look like crap.

As for the game itself, this crap where half the game is PP time has got to stop. It's ridiculous. I'm all for opening up the game and the offense, but these games are simply special teams contests.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:47 AM

The Isles are an interesting team, they always seem to have promise and a nice young core but can't get over that hump. Is Milbury still in the front office screwing things up for you guys?

I need to correct my above post, as Leaf fans know, Belfour didn't play last night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Agree about all the penalties messing up the flow of the game. Hopefully they can find a decent balance soon.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM

I am a Sabres fan and I have been pleased thus far with the way the Sabres have played, except for the stinker Wednesday night agianst the Caps.

The Sabres were one fo the teams that sat back and decided they were rather happy with their team with the way the new NHL was going to be. They are definitely a speedy team (you probably saw this in the Bruins-Sabres games this year) and Ryan Miller has been really good this year, especially when the team needs him in close games to keep them within 1 or stay tied. Kalnin was hurt during training camp and is just starting to get his legs back so he is expected to be their horse. The defense has been so-so thus far, but with him getting back to form, they should play better. Vanek has been playing awesome and I think once he puts one in the net finally (he has 7 assists and leads the team with 34 SOG) they will start to come in bunches. Briere has beent he nuts this year and is quite the player.

The talking heads at ESPN and places love to say they are "over-achieving" but I think they underestimated the fact that the Sabres built their team starting years ago around the fact that a new CBA would allow them to be competitive and the new rules changes makes their team that much better. If Miller continues to play well and they continue to be the most disciplined team in the NHL, they should have a shot at the playoffs.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM

I'm from pittsburgh, okay, so I can't really appreciate this thread...

although we had a hell of a come back last night, dowm 4-0 in the first. I actually watched the whole game (I usually turn off when down by 3 or more), I wanted to see how bad we would lose. Then a pair by Mario and the flood gates opened in teh second period with 4 goals...

Anyways, lots of overtime games for this team, and 1 stinking win. They can't seem to stop teams from scoring, teh defense is pathetic and needs to be tightened up, they give up 5-6 goals every game, so their only chance is scoring 7 or more goals, bleh...

Let's go STEELERS!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the game itself, this crap where half the game is PP time has got to stop. It's ridiculous. I'm all for opening up the game and the offense, but these games are simply special teams contests.

[/ QUOTE ]

The league changed a boat load of rules in one very long offseason. The players are still trying to adapt to them. I think everyone in the NHL expected the beginning of the season to be exactly what it is, a penalty-fest. Once the players learn what they can and can't get away with, the game will have much more flow than the "old NHL".

That said, I'm also an Islander fan. They deserve most of the penalties called against them, not all, but most. They only seem to be able to play one period of hockey a game. The other two consist of them running around in their own zone collecting penalty minutes. Janne Niinima is the most overrated defensemen in the league and belongs in Bridgeport.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM

Yashin is having a good year, 12 points in 10 games (6 goals 6 assists).

I am Devils fan, the glory days look all but over but they still have a fairly solid team even with out stevens and neidermayer. Now Brodeur is hurt and the Elias is still on IR and who knows when he will come out. Some reason the Devils have salary cap issues and will be forced to trade someone when Elias comes off IR.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yashin is having a good year, 12 points in 10 games (6 goals 6 assists).

I am Devils fan, the glory days look all but over but they still have a fairly solid team even with out stevens and neidermayer. Now Brodeur is hurt and the Elias is still on IR and who knows when he will come out. Some reason the Devils have salary cap issues and will be forced to trade someone when Elias comes off IR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a Sabres fan, you have any thoughts on the game tonight with them coming to town?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some reason the Devils have salary cap issues and will be forced to trade someone when Elias comes off IR.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of surprising. Aren't the Devils known for keeping salaries down? Brodeur's contract is pretty big (rightfully), is there anyone else that's a big earner on the team?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is kind of surprising. Aren't the Devils known for keeping salaries down? Brodeur's contract is pretty big (rightfully), is there anyone else that's a big earner on the team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Broduer makes a little over 5 million. Elias, Rafalski, Madden, Malakhov & Mogilny each make between 3.5 and 4.3. That is about 25 million right there between 6 players .

Anyway. I'm a Rangers fan. I have been completely surprised this year. While I thought the last place prediction by SI was a complete joke I didn't think the team would play as well as they have this year.

Jagr has just been pretty much the best player in the NHL so far. And the Rangers are actually playing like a TEAM for the first time in almost 10 years.

Lundqvist has looked downright sick.

The team is still a bit small and slow on defense and they don't have a defenseman who can move the puck out of the zone (Poti has been just awful). They also take way too many penalites. Last night the Isles had just under 20 minutes of PP time!

Renney has done a great job with that team so far. Hopefully they can keep up the blue-collar type play and make the playoffs.