Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Hockey

[ QUOTE ]
But when coaches start sending guys out with what seems like clear intent to injure, that's a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a problem, but I think this is a bigger problem in the NFL.

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just trying to keep this thread on the front page... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as its about hockey and not the NBA [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ottawa has this sort of dynamic with McGrattan. Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson and Havlat are all "untouchable" if you don't want to have to deal with McGrattan. As soon as you see one of those guys take a cheap shot, the next shift McGrattan is one the ice looking to fight. You mess with Ottawa's stars, you have to deal with McGrattan. He has next to no hockey skill, but I don't think he has lost a fight yet this year. He's broken a few noses and bloodied quite a few faces already this year. He's the player that Ottawa has been looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, this type of player has no place in the NHL now. McGratton is a thug. If Ottawa wants to be tougher, they need more guys like Heatley. This has been the difference between Ottawa & TO in the playoffs - not that our tough guy could beat up your tough guy, but that the 20 guys on the ice were tougher as a group than the Sens.

With the new salary cap, there's no place for a guy that can't help your team win games. That's why a guy like Domi is so valuable - he can fight, and has some hockey skill. Not a lot, but he's probably the best of the enforcers. NJ dumped their enforcer (Oliwa), because they had cap problems, and couldn't lock up $450,000 on a guy that had only one use.

Soon enough, I think you'll see a return to the old old time hockey, where your fighters were also valuable players. In the 60's, you dressed less players, so you couldn't have a 4th liner that just fought.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:56 PM

how does a player who can fight help his team? how does winning a fight help a team win a game? do you mean injuring another player and taking him out of the game?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does a player who can fight help his team? how does winning a fight help a team win a game? do you mean injuring another player and taking him out of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure if you understood my post...

I'm saying that a guy who just fights is not much help to his team. However, as a secondary skill, it's useful for a couple reasons - getting the crowd in to the game/firing up your team, and protecting a teammate. The opposition may hesitate before throwing a big hit on a star, if they know they're going to have to fight someone afterwards.

Players rarely get injured in fights, although it does happen. Most often, they get injured from late or dirty hits. The type of hit you may think twice about if you know there's a fight coming after you do it.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ottawa has this sort of dynamic with McGrattan. Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson and Havlat are all "untouchable" if you don't want to have to deal with McGrattan. As soon as you see one of those guys take a cheap shot, the next shift McGrattan is one the ice looking to fight. You mess with Ottawa's stars, you have to deal with McGrattan. He has next to no hockey skill, but I don't think he has lost a fight yet this year. He's broken a few noses and bloodied quite a few faces already this year. He's the player that Ottawa has been looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Habs just took over first tonight. Don't quite think they can maintain this pace, but it's fun right now.

You guys have probably all seen this, but I love it. It's a Leafs ad.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:48 PM

Can somebody find me a worse goalie than Nikolai Khabibulan?

3-8, 4.09 GAA, .843 Save %, $6.75 Millon per year.

Yes, the team in front of him is not playing well, but not nearly this bad. He's getting into a habit of giving up weak goals, especially in the first 5 shots of the game.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, the team in front of him is not playing well, but not nearly this bad. He's getting into a habit of giving up weak goals, especially in the first 5 shots of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't blame any of this on Khabibulin. Any goalie looks bad behind that team. If you wanna complain about the amount of money you're paying one guy, look at Aucoin. He's overpaid. Not a stud D-man at all.

And if you want a worse goalie, look in Atlanta. They've had 5 (I think) this year.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick Lalime.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:20 PM

What? Aucoin was playing 30 minutes a game on Long Island and thriving. He's an excellent defender - maybe not a true #1, but certainly a top pairing guy. The whole Blackhawks defense is new, so they'll need some time.

Khabibulin has always given up weak goals. He's very streaky - on Tampa it looked like he was becoming solid, but now things have come apart. Khabibulin isn't the type who will play better under a big contract.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can't blame any of this on Khabibulin. Any goalie looks bad behind that team. If you wanna complain about the amount of money you're paying one guy, look at Aucoin. He's overpaid. Not a stud D-man at all.

And if you want a worse goalie, look in Atlanta. They've had 5 (I think) this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Auccion has been fighting a groin injury all season and has missed a handfull of games and was less than 100% in many others. He hasn't played bad despite this.

Have you watched any of their games this season? Khabibulan is playing much worse than the defense surrounding him. When your allowing tons of goals on weak shots, the goalie being out of position, or when the goalie leaves fat rebounds is it the defenses fault?

If he wasn't injured, I would take Keri Lehtonen in a heartbeat over Khabibulan. The last 2 seasons he has been the best goalie in the AHL and he will be a stud. He should even put up good numbers with Atlanta's poor D.