FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Call your shot - what will be the biggest upset in the first round

[ QUOTE ]
I'll say Penn over BC.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-17-2005, 07:24 PM

I'm one that almost always picks upsets aplenty...dating all the way pack to 14 Cleve St over 3 Indiana as well as 15 Richmond over 2 Syracuse.
Also picked 15 Boise St over 2 Michigan back in the day (they missed a 3 that would have won it) and also Valpo over Ole Miss.

This year I'm just not seeing many upsets. I have some upsets in the 2nd round but not much in the 1st because I'm just not seeing many based on the matchups.

BC and Pitt would have been ripe for upsets imo. But BC was playing a Penn team that didn't blow me away....and Pitt fell all the way to a 9 seed and took on an 8 seed in Pacific.
If Pitt had won just 1 or 2 more games down the stretch...and Pacific had lost just 1 more game in there that would have been a 5-12 or 6-11 matchup that would have been an easy upset pick.

Kind of similar to Texas-Nevada...normally this could be a great 5-12 or 4-13 matchup...but Nevada didn't really stumble down the stretch and got a better seed.

I can see ODU over MSU...and I already thought UWM had a very srong chance against Bama.

I don't think GW has a prayer against G-Tech.

Kansas would be ripe for an upset in the 1st round but bucknell is not going to do it.
I thought Gonzaga could be upset.....and maybe Winthrop can hang around but I doubt it.

Same with UConn and Wake.....they just aren't going to get knocked off by UCF or Chattanooga I wouldn't think.

New Mexico is playing well and might be able to catch Villanova. I would pick New Mexico for an upset if they were playing a different higher rated team such as BC, MSU, Bama, Kansas or even Louisville or Washington....but Nova has been playing pretty well down the stretch so I'm picking the Wildcats here..

I'm really trying to find some 1st round upsets but I just don't like what's out there.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:29 PM

We were discussing the tourney while drinking after playing volleyball last night and a few of us at work would like to change our mind and take UCF over UConn.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure which one, but I wouldn't be very surprised if one of the 15 seeds won today-tomorrow. Same with the 14 seeds. Of the top 12 teams (the #1-#3 seeds), I'd be surprised if more than 8 make the second weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I was being generous.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got UW-Milwaukie in the Sweet 16 for some reason

[/ QUOTE ]

good prediction.