Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Does the Green Monster get some yellow trim soon?

For those of you just joining us, Gabe Kapler hit a HR over the Monster tonight. It came down on the very top of the wall, bounced up, hit the 6"-high sneeze-guard in the first row of Monster seats (that keeps drinks from falling onto the field), then bounced back onto the field. The umpires ruled, incorrectly, that it was not a HR.

Francona went nuts, to no avail.

Two pitches into the next at-bat, Trot Nixon, watching the game in the clubhouse while on the DL, rushes into the dugout to tell Tito what the replay showed. Tito comes out and argues some more. Nixon is screaming at the umps from the dugout, and gets ejected.

I have two questions:

--Why on earth is the sneeze-guard painted green??? Why is there no yellow stripe running along the top of that wall???

--Is ESPN trying to cover for these incompetent umpires?

I've never seen an umpiring crew blow such an obvious call. Then again, I got to see it from a camera that was looking DOWN at the wall. But even before the replays, I was sure it hit exactly where it did.

I mention the ESPN coverup because the play somehow did not make SportsCenter (which was too busy replaying TO and the hidden ball all night); and that inning was skipped "due to time constraints" on the late-night replay of the game.

Time constraints??? What, they've just GOT to air the lumberjack show or the cheerleading contest at 4 AM?

COVER-UP!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Does the Green Monster get some yellow trim soon?

[ QUOTE ]

Time constraints??? What, they've just GOT to air the lumberjack show or the cheerleading contest at 4 AM?

COVER-UP!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its so Sportscenter starts at the right time. Also ESPN always does this, I bet they removed that inning because of that but it wasnt for the umps it was because I'm sure that inning took longer then your average inning so therefore it is for "Time contraints"
Old 08-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Does the Green Monster get some yellow trim soon?

Cant speak for Sportscenter, but the announcers did club the umps pretty bad about the call during the game.