Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM

Default I need \"x\" for Christmas because I broke mine...

Hi all,

This is a just for fun post really but seeing as how I'm reading about bad beat blowups I thought I'd ask this..

What is the worst thing you have broken after suffering a bad beat?

Personally speaking I haven't really broken anything but do have appalling bouts of sewaring. I have a friend who should own shares in Mice and Keyboards tho.

Posted in the Psychology area as this seems to be where I read most on the breaking things topic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">[b]BingoChimp[b]</font>
Old 12-09-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: I need \"x\" for Christmas because I broke mine...

Yeah,

I've broken mice as a matter of course - luckily I can purchase them for a few notes at the nearest supermarket.I normally have about two or three spares. I've wrapped a keyboard around some shelves before and I've also had to dash to a DIY store to purchase some filler to repair holes I have made in various walls as my, now very tatty, Theory of Poker book gets launched on another unfortunate trajectory normally to coincide with another massive payment of Sklansky dollars which does not convert to hard cash.

It's part of poker. Certainly part of the way I play !
Old 12-09-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the worst thing you have broken after suffering a bad beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I broke my marriage. After having pocket aces cracked to bring me down 150BB on a Sunday night, I snapped at my wife when she tried to console me with empty words. She responded with a tearful "I don't think I want to be married to you anymore." Three months later, I was in my own condo, where I sit now.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I broke my marriage. After having pocket aces cracked to bring me down 150BB on a Sunday night, I snapped at my wife when she tried to console me with empty words. She responded with a tearful "I don't think I want to be married to you anymore." Three months later, I was in my own condo, where I sit now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true:
1) Oh my god, that makes me really, really sad.
2) You response is going to be awfully tough to follow. Next time, let some other people respond with trivial things like "mice" and "mirrors" first. Let it creshendo a bit until you finally drop the D bomb.

My response: I have yet to break anything.

However, I once slowplayed top pair (called flop, checked behind the turn) hoping to induce another barrel from my opponent who hit his set of 4's on the river. We were essentially heads up, even in chips, in a winner take all tourney for a $17,000 package to Europe and I busted out on that hand. I spent the next hour pacing around the streets of Boston at 4am trying not to vomit. When you're barely comfortable with losing $100 on a hand, there's nothing like $17k to build character.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 PM

The murder weapon was my TI-83 I keep near for calculations.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 PM

I once bit myself so hard it started bleeding. This was mostly because of other reasons though.

I've never broken anything.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There has to be more to the story than this. Marriages don't end because of one instance of someone losing their temper (unless of course there is violence involved).
Old 12-10-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There has to be more to the story than this. Marriages don't end because of one instance of someone losing their temper (unless of course there is violence involved).

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there is more to the story. In a nutshell, this was the just the flash point for the disintegration of our marriage. A few days later, she acknowledged that she "had feelings for someone else." She then inferred that she had been having an affair for the prior two months, and claimed that all of the time I had spent playing online poker (1-2 hours per weekday evening; 3-4 hours per day on the weekend during bonus periods) was the final straw of the last chapter of a marriage of parallel lives. C'est la vie.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:42 AM

I destroyed a printer with an arm of my deskchair and then I smashed a lamp against the wall. I am embarassed too.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:47 AM

One time I got "989ed"* in a huge pot when I was in the middle of a bad downswing and I roared at the top of my lungs and banged my heads against the wall I was leaning against. Thats pretty rare though. I've never broken anything. One time I ran out of my apartment and scooted down to the pool hall because I was getting killed so bad.

*989:1 for 1 specific card combination (like 2 black queens) to come on the turn and river to beat your flopped aces full by making runner runner quads for an opponent holding QQ.